Frugel-Horn Mk3 Auditions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Jim (aka jemraid) suggested that a list of people with Frugel-Horn Mk3 who are willing to host auditions be started.

Anyone who is, please post, so that your varied contact info is availble and note your location, drivers and any other particulars you feel relevant.

I have the original prototypes which i can fairly easily swap different drivers into as it has a removable upper baffle. I will usually have A7eN, CHR70eN, EL70eN, FE126eN and more that can be swapped in. The original p10-hifi flat-pak test run is being assembled and will have dedicated FE126eN^2 installed.

I am in/close to Victoria BC Canada. I have a few amps and you are encoraged to bring your own.

Best to contact me by eMail. I have personal messaging turned off. Google Earth place file attached.

dave

Attachments

• p10-location.kmz.zip
    880 bytes · Views: 239
Hello all,

I have a pair of FH3's with CHP-70 units corner placed in a very small room at the back of our garage. If you would like to have a listen please feel free to bring some CD's and an amplifier.

I have an old GainClone to Thorsten's inverted circuit and am going to make a Hiraga 'Le Monstre' 8 watt amp.

I live in NE Derbyshire UK not too far off the M1 Ju 29.

Regards - Jim

Bump

This speaker is really taking off now. Occasionally something that is more than the sum of it's parts appears, a triumph of cabinet and drive unit design producing something that sounds wonderful, OK OK I know I've said it before lots of times, but it's true.

If you've made or bought a pair please add your name to the list.

Jim

I'm open to auditions from fellow DIY'ers. I'm in Picton, 2 hours from either Toronto or Ottawa. Bit of a trip.

I can't see anyone being disappointed with the sound quality of the Frugal Horns, unless they have crappy upstream components. I used to have Zorny (Simpsons joke), yamaha and various other japanese stereo components, which makes Fostex sound like a AM radio! They need tube power, and even a tube DAC or vinyl to bring out the sweet tone. I currently have a 10watt tube SET and a Grant TubeDAC-11, and very happy.

Attachments

• IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1202.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 801
  • IMG_1203.jpg
    IMG_1203.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 787
Presently I only have a pair of FH3 with A7.2 drivers for demo. However a mate just 10-mins drive from me has a pair with CHP70 drivers and a pair of my Frugal Supertweeters (MA Tweeter #3) on top to reinforce the top end. I'm sure he'd be willing to bring them over to my place to demo.

So anyone near North Manchester (UK) is welcome to listen by pre arrangement.

Bye-the-way I also make Flat pack kits and full builds of these speakers to customer spec. ;):)

As far west as Prairie du Chien? I'm there once a month on business.

Bummer to read the FH3 really wants a tube amp. I intend to first try my FH3 with my refurbished B&O Beomaster 1900.

while a dyed in the wool "bottle-head" might opine that any "full range" driver and most particularly in members of the BLH enclosure family thrive best on tube amps, there are some very nice sounding SS from vintage to the latest generations of Class D that could make many folks happy

hell - the FE126E in the FH3 doesn't sound all that hurtful :rolleyes: on a Denon AV receiver

I've heard FH3 with enough different driver / amp combos to know that synergy isn't always predictable nor guaranteed

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bummer to read the FH3 really wants a tube amp.

As has been said before... one of the beauties of FH3 is the ability to change its personality by changing the drivers.

FH3 with FE126 likes a tube amp or other amp with highish output impedance (ie Firstwatt F2)... if you use A7 or EL70 (or many others) work with SS. The EL70 (undoubtedly best bang for buck) is happy with modest Class D amps too.

dave

Add me to the list

FH Mk3 flat pak now assembled, finished, and playing music. :cool:
Available for listen near The Mouse in Orlando, Florida. Drivers are Planet 10 FE126eN^2, amps are B&O and NAD SS, sources include vinyl, CD, cassette, and digital.

Bourbon and homebrew always available, but you're welcome to BYOB, source material, and amps.

FH Mk3 flat pak now assembled, finished, and playing music. :cool:
Available for listen near The Mouse in Orlando, Florida. Drivers are Planet 10 FE126eN^2, amps are B&O and NAD SS, sources include vinyl, CD, cassette, and digital.

Bourbon and homebrew always available, but you're welcome to BYOB, source material, and amps.

If not already done so, would you care to post your initial impressions, or would that be a spoiler?

Which B&O amp?
More importantly, what would be the house (and special select) Bourbons? (kinda like full-range drivers, can't be restricted to only just one!)

More info

If not already done so, would you care to post your initial impressions, or would that be a spoiler?

Which B&O amp?
More importantly, what would be the house (and special select) Bourbons? (kinda like full-range drivers, can't be restricted to only just one!)
Chris:

After I've lived with them awhile, I will post a picture or two and some "post-initial impressions." But my initial impression is, I LOVE these things. My wife still hasn't come around, but I think these girls are destined to become the pair of speakers in my (mainly) vintage B&O system: Beomaster 4000 (rebuilt last year by Benny Amina), Beogram 4002 (with Soundsmith SMMCEN20 cartridge), Beogram CD X, plus cassette decks and iPod dock. (Other B&O amps are the Beomaster 1900 and 2400 receivers in other systems around the house.) The BM4000 and BG4002 get most of my listening (a record or two a day, at least).

I have nothing negative to say about the FH Mk3. I have them on the long wall in my dining room, more than five feet from a corner. Bass is good, soundstage depth and height and width are surprising, tonal balance is good, highs are there. Essentially all my listening is from a dedicated chair seven or eight feet in front of them in "the sweet spot," so I have no comment regarding "off axis response."

Regarding the bourbon, Makers Mark is available 24/7/365. There is always another around a bit more high end than MM, though MM is what I'm always drinking. The current "more high end" is Woodford Reserve, a brand I first tried on a Delta Airlines flight.

Rich

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.