Frugel-Horn Mk3 Auditions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Chris:

After I've lived with them awhile, I will post a picture or two and some "post-initial impressions." But my initial impression is, I LOVE these things. My wife still hasn't come around, but I think these girls are destined to become the pair of speakers in my (mainly) vintage B&O system: Beomaster 4000 (rebuilt last year by Benny Amina), Beogram 4002 (with Soundsmith SMMCEN20 cartridge), Beogram CD X, plus cassette decks and iPod dock. (Other B&O amps are the Beomaster 1900 and 2400 receivers in other systems around the house.) The BM4000 and BG4002 get most of my listening (a record or two a day, at least).

I have nothing negative to say about the FH Mk3. I have them on the long wall in my dining room, more than five feet from a corner. Bass is good, soundstage depth and height and width are surprising, tonal balance is good, highs are there. Essentially all my listening is from a dedicated chair seven or eight feet in front of them in "the sweet spot," so I have no comment regarding "off axis response."

Regarding the bourbon, Makers Mark is available 24/7/365. There is always another around a bit more high end than MM, though MM is what I'm always drinking. The current "more high end" is Woodford Reserve, a brand I first tried on a Delta Airlines flight.

Rich

Booker's, Baker's and Basil (Hayden) - the 3 Bs worth looking into

then if you need a cleansing rinse - Russian Standard Platinum

I prefer Lagavulin myself. Although not everyone cares for the heavy peat-smoke & iodine...

well I guess the gurlymen can always stick with their Bushmills, Jamesons, Tullamore ;) - sometimes you just wanna relax, not analyze the beverage and the audio gear

is it true what they say about Scotch - the more phlegm dislodged in pronouncing the name, the smoother the taste?

Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich and Craigellachie are the most often gift in my own family

edit: gee you'd think audio enjoyment was predicated on ethanol - not necessarily, but.....

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.