diy open baffle - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2011, 07:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default diy open baffle

New to speaker building. My last speakers were Meridian DSP 5000, active. I liked them a lot and believe active is the way to go. Therefore my first parameter will be an active system. Having done considerable reading I am thinking the following.

1. use a mini dsp for crossovers, etc.
2. build my own class D amp based on 4*100W TK2050 Tripath D-class Amplifier Board. Get cheap bi or tri amplification . Thanks to Gainphile for both 1 and 2
3. One of the following
a. Orion loudspeaker kit
b. NaO Note kit
c. Try cloning the EP CS2.3
Right now I am leaning towards the CS2.3, least amount of capitol investment, plus I could make some quick open baffles using these speakers, just to get a sense of the sound in general. However my counter argument is that the Orion and NaO both would provide a more engineered finished product, as it is my understanding that the CS2.3's can be highly dependent upon EQ, etc. Has anyone cloned the CS2.3, how were the results? Did results depend a lot on "processing"
Old 27th March 2011, 02:34 PM   #2
holdent is offline holdent  Canada
diyAudio Member

All three systems you refer to aren't based on fullrange drivers. You might get more response if you asked the question on the Multi-Way forum. As well I assume by what you wrote you don't want to build the Orion or Nao kits, you're thinking of cloning the Orion or Nao using a MiniDSP.
Old 27th March 2011, 04:03 PM   #3
dayvo is offline dayvo  United States
diyAudio Member

Other alternatives to consider are the V1 or V2 OB kits by Danny Richie at GR-Research.com. Or you can take a simpler approach with the Manzanita (see the thread by Pano in the multi-way area). I did an adaptation of these using the CSS-FR125SR for the top end - that brings us back around to full range. Mine also use a MiniDSP. John at ZaphAudio tested the FR125 (see his small driver evaluation on his web site). They work very well for >200 Hz on an OB. They have lots of xmax and power handling for their size.
Old 27th March 2011, 07:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

+1 on the OB kits from Richie. I heard the big one @ LSAF last year and was awestruck. Edit- just saw the V-2 is on sale currently for $200 off.

Last edited by steviedon; 27th March 2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 27th March 2011, 09:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

+2 on the GR kits......I own a V-1.....very nice.
Old 28th March 2011, 12:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I will re-post in multi-way forum, thanks. Regardless, you are correct I want to go full active crossovers, with separate amp for each frequency range
Old 28th March 2011, 12:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

thanks for your reply. I will be checking GR-Research out as well as the Manzanita

Hide this!Advertise here!