looking for effecient 4" driver for FAST system - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2011, 02:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default looking for effecient 4" driver for FAST system

So I started building a speaker set for my studio a couple years ago... A large ported box with a 10" woofer which will be powered by a plate amp (adjustable crossover), and a small sealed box sectioned off inside the larger box. I bought some 4" bamboo tangband drivers, and built some small enclosures for testing. Some how those test enclosures ended up by my computer, now they seem to have grown ports, and I don't think I can handle loosing my computer speakers now.

So I still need speakers for my studio. I've got 150Hz down covered, and a built in enclosure for a 4" driver. The budget is a little tighter now though and I don't think I can spring for the bamboo drivers again. These seem like the best alternative: Tang Band W4-656SC. I was just curious if anybody was familiar with any other options.

requirements: ~$20-30 range, 4 liter sealed enclosure, enough x-max to be able to run in a sealed enclosure with out worry of over excursion every time I turn it up. I don't need the highest fidelity, just want something enjoyable to listen to that can be cranked up to play over various equipment I might be using at the time. It seems like there should be something more effecient with a Fs higher than the 65-75Hz that most full range 4" drivers have. I just haven't found it yet.

thanks
Joe
Old 25th March 2011, 02:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8802

How about this driver... looks like a good choice to me.
Zilla
Old 25th March 2011, 03:37 PM   #3
type is offline type  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8802

How about this driver... looks like a good choice to me.
Zilla
I'll 2nd the W4-930sf. I've owned them and they are overall, a nice smooth driver. A bargain at the price.
Old 25th March 2011, 05:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Cheaper, and more effecient? That certainly looks like the best choice so far... less x-max... only 2 mm.... still I do like the looks of it. Thanks.

I also came across this: FAITAL PRO 4FE30 (sorry I'm unable to link directly to the driver, is enough to find though under 6-8" drivers... even though it's only 4"). I think this would be perfect: higher fs of 100Hz, higher sensitivity, and decent x-max. Unfortunately it's $40, more than I really want to spend...
Joe
Old 25th March 2011, 06:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Nice piece ,the Faital . I used something similar to the 3" ,not the 4" .But it works together with a smaller woofer ,and smaller cabinet too . So ,if asking me ,I would choose the smaller ,being more treble-oriented because of the smaller radiating area . I guess the baffle for the mid-hi driver should be very 'narrow' ..
Old 25th March 2011, 06:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

picowallspeaker

the 3" FAITAL PRO speaker does look nice, I just don't think I could run it wide open without over excursion. My home speakers have a 4" full range crossed over at 300Hz. Crossovers at those frequencies become pretty expensive. So I'm trying to find a driver I can run wide open in a small sealed enclosure, simply blending in the sub where the full ranger rolls off.... certainly if I had the money a crossover a little higher 300-500Hz with a 3" Faital Pro would be nice.

As far as beaming from a larger cone I'm not too concerned about it. I'm just trying to build an enjoyable pair of speakers on a budget... If I loose a little info at 5-20kHz... mehh... as long as I can still enjoy the music I'm happy.
Joe
Old 25th March 2011, 07:53 PM   #7
AEIOU is offline AEIOU  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Send a message via AIM to AEIOU Send a message via MSN to AEIOU Send a message via Yahoo to AEIOU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephjcole View Post
Cheaper, and more effecient? That certainly looks like the best choice so far... less x-max... only 2 mm.... still I do like the looks of it. Thanks.

I also came across this: FAITAL PRO 4FE30 (sorry I'm unable to link directly to the driver, is enough to find though under 6-8" drivers... even though it's only 4"). I think this would be perfect: higher fs of 100Hz, higher sensitivity, and decent x-max. Unfortunately it's $40, more than I really want to spend...
Joe
I would go with the TangBand W4-930SF 4" looks nice and specs well.
Old 25th March 2011, 08:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

33 uF + 2.2 mH worked for me ... different project ,different values ( driver being 6 Ohm)
Old 25th March 2011, 08:33 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
33 uF + 2.2 mH worked for me ... different project ,different values ( driver being 6 Ohm)
Certainly you won't find any arguments from me that this project would be well served with a crossover. It would probably lead to more dynamics, less distortion.... however when looking at a crossover in the 300-500Hz range you find that the $25 driver needs $35 worth of crossover components, not to mention the crossover needed for the woofer. I spent a long time tweaking the crossover on my speakers at home and am quite satisfied with the results.
However this is a different project. I've got some 10" drivers with a plate amp. I just want to slap some 4" drivers in the enclosure. Maybe spend a couple of minutes adjusting the frequency and gain on the plate amp, crank up the music, and get back to work in my studio.
Joe
Old 25th March 2011, 08:50 PM   #10
AEIOU is offline AEIOU  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Send a message via AIM to AEIOU Send a message via MSN to AEIOU Send a message via Yahoo to AEIOU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephjcole View Post
I just want to slap some 4" drivers in the enclosure. Maybe spend a couple of minutes adjusting the frequency and gain on the plate amp, crank up the music, and get back to work in my studio.
Joe
Here is one you might seriously consider.
Dayton Audio RS100-8 4" Reference Full-Range Driver

Hide this!Advertise here!