looking for effecient 4" driver for FAST system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The main drivers in a sealed cabinet running full range are rolling off at 12dB/octave and the sub is likely filtered with LR4 low pass. This combination of BW2 and LR4 will never sound very good, IME. You need either a lower frequency LR2 on the sub to create a proper LR2 cross, or else add a BW2 to the mains and keep the LR4 on the subs (option 2 is lower distortion and plays louder).

audiobomber
I'm not sure that my plate amp is 4th order... I got it a couple of years ago from MCM electronics for $35. Taking a quick survey of the cheapest amps around they all seem to be running 2cnd order crossovers. Certainly when you get up into the higher quality plate amps they are 4th order. I'm guessing mine is 2cnd order, though I haven't tested it to find out.
It's interesting though. I've never heard anyone speak of having issues with integration when they have sealed main speakers crossed over to a sub run by a plate amp.
Do you have more details? what was your situation? What did it sound like? I would be curious to hear your impressions of the mismatched roll offs when running a sealed main speaker and a plate amp with 4LR.
Joe

I've never heard anyone speak of having issues with integration when they have sealed main speakers crossed over to a sub run by a plate amp.
Do you have more details? what was your situation? What did it sound like? I would be curious to hear your impressions of the mismatched roll offs when running a sealed main speaker and a plate amp with 4LR.
Joe

I use a pair of Bamberg Sound Lab S5-MTM's and a pair of 10" subs. I tried running the mains full range and the subs low passed LR4, and it always sounded bad. The subwoofer bass lags behind the bass from the mains and kills the pace and rhythm. You get bass but lose the music.

Sorry,
so far i've just been listening to them in my studio through an old 1970's reciever that I picked up at a garage sale, so I can't really give any meaningful impressions (the reciever is a little noisy). I'm really busy through Easter weekend, but hopefully after that I can set them up in the living room and give you some listening impressions while I have them plugged into a amp that doesn't produce any nastiness. It's nice to have music in the studio I can say that much though... I'm hoping eventually to get an inexpensive tripath amp for the studio....
Joe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.