looking for effecient 4" driver for FAST system - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2011, 10:05 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Here's a cheepie but your cutout may need to be made larger by a teensy bit... which is not always easy.

Dayton Audio PA130-8 5" Full Range PA Driver

I found this driver fit the same opening as the fostex 127e and plan to swap the drivers in and out to hear if $40 buys much more than $17.

The Dayton Reference physically looks so good but i don't care for 85db per watt rating. I don't care for the metal cone either. I tend to like the sound of paper cones.

>>> I've got some 10" drivers with a plate amp. I just want to slap some 4" drivers in the enclosure. Maybe spend a couple of minutes adjusting the frequency and gain on the plate amp, crank up the music, and get back to work in my studio.

I feel the same way and think the simplicity could result in excellent sound.

Zilla
Old 25th March 2011, 10:23 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

AEIOU--
thanks for the suggestion the dayton audio driver does look very nice, I'm inclined to agree with Godzilla though... 85db efficiency does seem quite low, otherwise it does look nice.

Godzilla--
I'll be interested in hearing your listening impressions of the driver when you get it. Looking at the published specs things don't look pretty above 3kHz. Who knows maybe they will still sound good fullrange? My fostex 108's don't look pretty when measured either with a huge suck out at 1kHz and a little ragged on top, they certainly sound nice though. The daytons look like they may get pretty harsh in the top octaves. Keep us posted on your thoughts when you get them.

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions. For my budget the Tang Band W4-930SF still looks the best to me... I'm certainly open to more suggestions though

thanks y'all
Joe
Old 26th March 2011, 03:04 AM   #13
type is offline type  United States
diyAudio Member

I'll throw another one out there; the TB W4-1052SD. I had this one for a while too - sounded pretty good - more bass than the 930sf & it's a bit prettier with the phase plug.

Tang Band W4-1052SD 4" Driver 4 Ohm

There was a lot of talk about it on this forum for a while - do a search. It was also used in the Omega Loudspeakers "Mini-me".
Old 26th March 2011, 04:41 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

The 4 inch Bamboo is worth every penny of its cost...cast basket,neo magnet, shorting ring, good X-max!! No question!
Old 26th March 2011, 12:29 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Type--
Am I of the understanding then that you've listened to both the 1052's and the 930's ? I'm more inclined to go with the 930's as they are more effecient, and I don't really need the extra bass that the 1052's offer. I would be interested in your listening impressions though if you have heard them both. The 1052's do have twice the x-max.... though with out any personal experience on this front I'm still more inclined to go with the paper cones as opposed to the plastic...

larryldspkr--
certainly the 4" bamboo drivers are very nice. Which is precisely why I can't give them up as computer speakers. They don't have quite the musicality of my fostex 108's, but they also cost half as much and are more versatile as full range drivers due to their larger x-max.

Joe
Old 26th March 2011, 12:38 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I think there are some serious problems from misunderstanding how this driver might work well with that woofer ,assuming the fact that it has to be powered by the same amp thus impossible to create a line level XO , but don't take too much confidence in the mechanical cut done by size and suspensions of the mid-treble unit , since it is going to have some serious distortions induced by the extra cone movement at LF . Moreover , if a driver with <90 dB sensitivity is chosen , because of the Iron Law .... You'll end in needing an autoformer for keeping equal sensitivities between the LF driver , and the necessary cap & coil needed to limit excursion for the MidTreble unit .
Old 26th March 2011, 01:07 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I'm not using the same amp to power both speakers. I'm using a plate amp with an adjustable low pass filter to power the 10" woofer. I understand that running the 4" tang band (or whatever I end up with) wide open will introduce some compromises. My home speakers are 4" fostex drivers crossover at 300Hz to an Eminence 12" woofer. I experimented with quite a few crossover options when I was building these including running the fostex wide open. I understand the compromises I'm making, and am OK with them for now. Maybe in the future, I will put the time and money into a crossover for this project. Maybe a single capacitor sized to create a -6db at 150Hz would be enough, as I can then adjust the plate amp up to 150Hz... something to consider. Though you might run into impedence issues... For now though as I have mentioned I just want something to listen to music on.

As far as sensitivities go you are right, if I am ever going to switch to a crossover I should keep the 4" sensitivity higher than the woofer.
Joe
Old 26th March 2011, 11:16 PM   #18
type is offline type  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephjcole View Post
Type--
Am I of the understanding then that you've listened to both the 1052's and the 930's ? I'm more inclined to go with the 930's as they are more effecient, and I don't really need the extra bass that the 1052's offer. I would be interested in your listening impressions though if you have heard them both. The 1052's do have twice the x-max.... though with out any personal experience on this front I'm still more inclined to go with the paper cones as opposed to the plastic...

Joe
Yes, I've had both but not at the same time so it's hard to do a real comparison. I'll say that if you don't need the extra bass then go for the 930sf as IMO it has slightly better highs and was better balanced - YMMV.

However, if you're happy with the Bamboo, why not wait and save for it, as you already know it's a home run? Though I would be interested in hearing how the 930 & bamboo compare myself
Old 29th March 2011, 01:01 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I stopped by Madisound yesterday and picked up a pair of 930sf drivers. Thanks everyone for the suggestions, much appreciated!

Type--
I'll see if I can't figure out a good way to compare the 930's with my bamboo drivers. Certainly on looks alone the bamboo driver does appear to be of sturdier construction.
Old 29th March 2011, 01:35 PM   #20
von Ah is offline von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's another vote for the 930sf. I put them in Minimus 7 enclosures and mate them with a 10" sub with a plate amp set at ~ 150 for low pass. I love this setup.

Last edited by von Ah; 29th March 2011 at 01:39 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!