Need some direction/advice for upcoming build - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2011, 08:30 AM   #31
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Gentlemen,

Her ewe can see the benefits of a comprehensive library

dave
Old 13th April 2011, 08:48 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Commited
So.... they're finished! Like a dumbass I didn't get any pictures in decent lighting, so here's a very unflattering teaser photo:
Click the image to open in full size.

I haven't really had much of a chance to listen to them as TV is king in the evenings but initial impressions are OK. I need to work on their positioning a lot but this was just a test to make sure everything works. There is a hum out of the amp which is irritating and I can't see a reason for it and I hope it's not the power supply.
Old 13th April 2011, 10:22 AM   #33
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You don't have them off the floor much -- and with carpet you might find a hard base to help the bass.

You do need to get some hours on the drivers...

dave
Old 13th April 2011, 12:19 PM   #34
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Commited,

Congrats on completing your first build! I did mine last month - a BiB with Fostex Fe166en.

The BIBs are pretty amazing. As Dave has suggested, better start getting hours on the drivers. As a FR newbie, I am also learning that the drivers tend to change a lot as you start piling up hours of play.

-Zia
Old 14th April 2011, 04:46 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave, I'll definitely be raising them off the floor thanks, I just wanted to check that they actually worked!!

Zia, I'm not really getting a chance to play with the drivers as the amp has a horrible hiss that I'm trying to get rid of!
Old 21st April 2011, 02:59 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

So I thought I'd give this a little update as I've now been listening to them for a few days. It's pretty difficult to get some dedicated listening time as we're currently living in someone elses house which is also compromising placement. To make things even more difficult, my TK2050 amp turns out to be faulty so they're currently being powered by an Aiwa karaoke system which is pretty horrific. Couple this with an ipod as source and I should be tearing my hair out.... I'm not. You can tell, even with this awful source & amp, that these speakers are something special. I can't wait to hear the speakers in corners of a well shaped living room with the TK2050 amp and my Monica 2 DAC. Shouldn't be too long away! Thanks Dave for the heads up on the drivers and help with the speakers so far!

I have now ordered some 30mm long spikes to go under the speakers and I'll be using some of my leftover plywood to make some bases which I'll spray black.

I'm going to cut the karlson slot in the speaker soon. I'm going to start off with 1 on each side approx 50mm x 200mm - any opinions on this size?
Old 21st April 2011, 07:00 AM   #37
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Te scheme i plan on using if i get as far as building a set, is to use a grid of holes (in one of the Karlson documents), as illustrated in the attachment. The staggered grid looks better to me.

Click the image to open in full size.

Slot can be easily grown and leave the panel stronger.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif karlson-holey-grid.gif (22.2 KB, 92 views)
Old 21st April 2011, 07:42 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

That looks like a serious amount of holes to drill, or am I being stupid?!

I was going to draw the outline of a small size slow and cut out with a jigsaw! Then I was just going to cut strips off until I was happy.
Old 21st April 2011, 07:56 AM   #39
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yep, lotsa holes. Your way works too

dave
Old 21st April 2011, 08:51 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave - I'll be able to give a proper update when I have some decent amplification.

Hide this!Advertise here!