Need some direction/advice for upcoming build - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2011, 08:14 AM   #21
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

It is unlikely this will be your last FR build

Start cheap and work your way up.

Yes, A7 is better than EL70, but it will show every wart on your choosen amplifier.

dave
Old 29th March 2011, 08:42 AM   #22
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
It is unlikely this will be your last FR build

dave
Dave,

I guess you speak from expereince? At least,I am hooked .... one build completed, one going on, bought drivers for the next 2 but we're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy... right?
Old 29th March 2011, 08:53 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Commited
Thanks Dave, I think I'll just go with the EL70, I don't think the difference is going to be really worth it until I start focussing on my source which is a little bit down the line.

Attached is the revised plan.
I've tweaked the sizes a bit for easier cutting. It has resulted in a bigger box but I've kept the ratio to 1.4, so I reckon it will work!

Is chipboard a huge compromise over plyboard for this design? It's about 1/4 of the price!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EL70.JPG (107.4 KB, 186 views)
Old 1st April 2011, 10:13 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Well, EL70 drivers ordered. I'll be going for the design that I posted just above and I'm really looking forward to it!
Old 1st April 2011, 10:29 AM   #25
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Looking forward to further updates as you get along

dave
Old 5th April 2011, 01:44 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quick question - with the inverted BiB, how far off the ground should the box be, or is it again a matter of finding what sounds best? I am thinking about experimenting by putting blocks of wood under the corners first, but if there is a recommended amount then I will just make the sides longer and have a front and back vent..
Old 5th April 2011, 02:34 AM   #27
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commited View Post
...or is it again a matter of finding what sounds best?
Yes. Quite a bit of tuning latitude there.

dave
Old 5th April 2011, 04:57 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Ok, I'll build it as designed and then use blocks of wood on the floor to raise or lower it to find out how high the spikes need to be!
Old 5th April 2011, 06:19 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Going to pick up some cut 15mm CD plywood in the morning! Looking forward to picking it up and getting started.
Old 13th April 2011, 12:04 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

The weather today was about as miserable and wet as any I've seen in the UK or Ireland. That made it the perfect day for working inside on some speakers!

Unfortunately, tools are sparse but I managed to get my hands on a VERY wonky jigsaw and 2 half broken clamps. Oh yes, this was already shaping up to be a successful build...

Anyway, with holes (which looked like they had a stroke) cut for the driver, it was time to start glueing it all together with the help of Selleys Aquadhere. It was at this point that I noticed that matey at the builders merchants had given me warped plywood. Nice one, thanks. I'm too impatient to get it all done again so I figured that, as this is my first speaker project, I'd persevere and see how it goes.

Some Pictures from todays action:

Glueing the second piece (note the expensive water bottle weight)
Click the image to open in full size.

Glueing down the baffle:

Glueing down the other side of the speaker. I needed this much weight to try and un-warp the wood

Sticking on the top piece of the speaker:

I'm using some pretty ropey speaker cable that came free with car speakers I bought for the Falcon, but that's easily changeable as I'm going for a binding post free design. Less connections the better.

The speakers still need the front fascia putting on which will be primed and sprayed Matt black as per my image above. I reckon this will look pretty good and I may be able to get away without veneering the speakers as the ply finish isn't too bad. We'll see.

In other news - I received a note that I have a parcel waiting for me at the post office All I need to do is to find a soldering Iron for 2 connections on my TK2050 amp and I'll be listening to music!

Hide this!Advertise here!