Need some direction/advice for upcoming build - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2011, 09:06 PM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
would the micro towers be a project worth considering for Commited??
Certainly worth consideration

dave
Old 28th March 2011, 09:36 PM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commited View Post
Will such a small driver deliver decent bass?
The EL70 in particular is a bass monster. It might not move as much air as FExx6, but it goes lower. If you need to play load put a pair in each box... reports from those building bipole Metronomes are that subs are being removed). The driver is versatile and not overly amplifier fussy (which the Fostex are)

Quote:
Is an inverted BIB what it sounds like?
I assume an inverted BIB can be used with a 6.5" or 8" driver?
Flip it "upside down yes". And then you can use the alternate driver offset (which i understand has an edge on the standard one response wise -- not heightwise when used in a regular BIB.

I see no reason you couldn't invert a larger one, just have to worry about driver height

Quote:
on what speakers I've liked in the past: B&W 602, B&W DM7Mk2, B&W 802 Matrix 3, System Audio SA1530, some of the KEF range and BBC Monitors.
It will be different, and potentially an eye opener.

Quote:
Why is the hifimediy amp recommended for 4ohms when the Sure and Dayton TK2050 based amps don't specify this?
You'd have to ask them... may have something to do with the output LC filter... they really need to be tuned to the load.

dave
Old 29th March 2011, 03:05 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Commited,

Fe166EN in the BIB is giving good bass after pushing them back to the wall and corner in my room. The bass is different from 3 way speaker bass I have previosuly expereinced. FE166EN in BIB bass quite tight and you can hear it clearly, and in my case it's there till 36 Hz (used a tone generator to check). But the bass does no have the typical slam or thud of a big 12" woofer... but I guess that's how the FR drivers behave. The sound from the midrange is very engaging and I fully agree with Dave, that's where the magic lies.

Dave, would the micro towers be a project worth considering for Commited??

-Zia
Thanks for the feedback! Would I be right in thinking that the smaller drivers in the BIB are a bit more room flexible and also supply a more lively sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The EL70 in particular is a bass monster. It might not move as much air as FExx6, but it goes lower. If you need to play load put a pair in each box... reports from those building bipole Metronomes are that subs are being removed). The driver is versatile and not overly amplifier fussy (which the Fostex are)
I'm gathering from your enthusiasm about the driver that it's a pretty good "bang for your buck" then! I have read that someone got good results with the FR125's in a BIB with bass down to 40Hz. I'd imagine the speakers will go loud enough with the 50w available from the T2? I don't want my ears to bleed but it would be good to have a certain amount of flexibility.
How do the Mark Audio CHR-70 Mk1's compare? They're available as a pair for $99.

Quote:
Flip it "upside down yes". And then you can use the alternate driver offset (which i understand has an edge on the standard one response wise -- not heightwise when used in a regular BIB.
OK, I'll go and do a bit of research into the construction. I have read that you end up with the driver generally nearer the top of the speaker which sounds good to me aesthetically.
Does the opening on the bottom have to be a particular shape?

Quote:
It will be different, and potentially an eye opener.
I don't doubt that for a second! I was in the realms of commercial speakers as I just didn't have the time or space to build some. Now I have both and no desire to spend big bucks on a compromise.
Old 29th March 2011, 03:47 AM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commited View Post
How do the Mark Audio CHR-70 Mk1's compare? They're available as a pair for $99.
Spend the extra $30/pr.

Quote:
I have read that you end up with the driver generally nearer the top of the speaker which sounds good to me aesthetically.
Does the opening on the bottom have to be a particular shape?
Here is an example, based on the FE126/127 recommended BIB at the time.

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FAL...IBk-FE12xe.pdf (i really should tidy up the line weights)

Click the image to open in full size.

I put a carlson slot on the back -- the idea being to help minimize ripple. If i was actually to build it, i'd put half of the slot on the sides (at the back) and make them by drilling small holes to make the pattern. One could start out small and grow it as necessary,

dave
Old 29th March 2011, 06:29 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

The Fostex Fe126's are the exact same price pretty much, with your experience, you'd lean towards the EL70s?
I must say that the idea of spending 1/2 as much and still being happy sounds appealing to me.
If I fire up google sketchup and do a rough design, would you be able to advise on the Carlton slot sizes?
Old 29th March 2011, 07:26 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Ok, so I used the BIB calculator with a changed Zdriver value of .416 as recommended by Scottmoose. This has resulted in the driver pretty much exactly a metre from the ground which should work quite well as I'll add 25mm spikes to the bottom. This is a design for the EL70 driver.

Does the design look ok?
Attached Images
File Type: gif Spk.GIF (87.9 KB, 161 views)
Old 29th March 2011, 08:18 AM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There you go... we are eager to see build pictures and how it turns out.

Then you can start reading up on EnABL.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 29th March 2011, 08:22 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Dave, does that design look ok?

Any recommendations on carlson slot size?

Looks like I'll give it a go - quite different to my original plan but a cheaper way to get into my first DIY speaker build!
Old 29th March 2011, 08:29 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The calculator has proven pretty good... start with it stock, using the method i proposed, you can grow carlson vents on the side if you fell that it is worthwhile experimenting.

dave
Old 29th March 2011, 08:41 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Excellent. That's great Dave, thanks.

One more question - would be Mark Audio Alpair 7 be worth the extra $50 or should I just stop finding different options and order something!

And I just noticed that I somehow used the wrong values for my design, so I'll give it another go now. Balls.

Last edited by Commited; 29th March 2011 at 08:53 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!