Need some direction/advice for upcoming build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Dave, I think I'll just go with the EL70, I don't think the difference is going to be really worth it until I start focussing on my source which is a little bit down the line.

Attached is the revised plan.
I've tweaked the sizes a bit for easier cutting. It has resulted in a bigger box but I've kept the ratio to 1.4, so I reckon it will work!

Is chipboard a huge compromise over plyboard for this design? It's about 1/4 of the price!

Attachments

• EL70.JPG
    EL70.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 746
Quick question - with the inverted BiB, how far off the ground should the box be, or is it again a matter of finding what sounds best? I am thinking about experimenting by putting blocks of wood under the corners first, but if there is a recommended amount then I will just make the sides longer and have a front and back vent..

The weather today was about as miserable and wet as any I've seen in the UK or Ireland. That made it the perfect day for working inside on some speakers!

Unfortunately, tools are sparse but I managed to get my hands on a VERY wonky jigsaw and 2 half broken clamps. Oh yes, this was already shaping up to be a successful build...

Anyway, with holes (which looked like they had a stroke) cut for the driver, it was time to start glueing it all together with the help of Selleys Aquadhere. It was at this point that I noticed that matey at the builders merchants had given me warped plywood. Nice one, thanks. I'm too impatient to get it all done again so I figured that, as this is my first speaker project, I'd persevere and see how it goes.

Some Pictures from todays action:

Glueing the second piece (note the expensive water bottle weight)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Glueing down the baffle:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Glueing down the other side of the speaker. I needed this much weight to try and un-warp the wood

Sticking on the top piece of the speaker:

I'm using some pretty ropey speaker cable that came free with car speakers I bought for the Falcon, but that's easily changeable as I'm going for a binding post free design. Less connections the better.

The speakers still need the front fascia putting on which will be primed and sprayed Matt black as per my image above. I reckon this will look pretty good and I may be able to get away without veneering the speakers as the ply finish isn't too bad. We'll see.

In other news - I received a note that I have a parcel waiting for me at the post office :D All I need to do is to find a soldering Iron for 2 connections on my TK2050 amp and I'll be listening to music!

So.... they're finished! Like a dumbass I didn't get any pictures in decent lighting, so here's a very unflattering teaser photo:

I haven't really had much of a chance to listen to them as TV is king in the evenings but initial impressions are OK. I need to work on their positioning a lot but this was just a test to make sure everything works. There is a hum out of the amp which is irritating and I can't see a reason for it and I hope it's not the power supply.

Commited,

Congrats on completing your first build! I did mine last month - a BiB with Fostex Fe166en.

The BIBs are pretty amazing. As Dave has suggested, better start getting hours on the drivers. As a FR newbie, I am also learning that the drivers tend to change a lot as you start piling up hours of play.

-Zia

So I thought I'd give this a little update as I've now been listening to them for a few days. It's pretty difficult to get some dedicated listening time as we're currently living in someone elses house which is also compromising placement. To make things even more difficult, my TK2050 amp turns out to be faulty so they're currently being powered by an Aiwa karaoke system which is pretty horrific. Couple this with an ipod as source and I should be tearing my hair out.... I'm not. You can tell, even with this awful source & amp, that these speakers are something special. I can't wait to hear the speakers in corners of a well shaped living room with the TK2050 amp and my Monica 2 DAC. Shouldn't be too long away! Thanks Dave for the heads up on the drivers and help with the speakers so far!

I have now ordered some 30mm long spikes to go under the speakers and I'll be using some of my leftover plywood to make some bases which I'll spray black.

I'm going to cut the karlson slot in the speaker soon. I'm going to start off with 1 on each side approx 50mm x 200mm - any opinions on this size?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.