Spawn Family Bruce BVR + FE206eN2(p10 fully enhanced). thoughts? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2011, 05:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Spawn Family Bruce BVR + FE206eN2(p10 fully enhanced). thoughts?

Hi all, I have been trying to settle on plans and drivers for awhile and think I may have a solid idea together. I'd like to build the Spawn Family BVR cabinet for the 8" Fostex Driver("Bruce"). Difficulty in the building of cabs is not really my concern as I have the skills and tools to do so. Also it seems a good idea to order the drivers from Planet 10 (I don't quite trust my skills in modifying drivers yet.) Ideally ordering the 206En fully modded w/ basket stiffening.

I'd be using 3/4 Birch for most of the cab and was toying with the idea of using a denser, more solid wood just for the baffle.

Every time I think I have a good idea of what I want to put together, something changes due to more research or another opinion. All help welcome! Thanks guys.
Old 25th March 2011, 07:46 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

That particular box is obsolete, which is why it's religated to the archives section (& will eventually be removed when we get around to updating the FH site). It wasn't all that well suited to the 206, being intended for its 207 stablemate. Of the free double-mouth designs on the FH site, Sachiko was the one for the 206.
Old 25th March 2011, 08:08 AM   #3
j3n2 is offline j3n2  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I tried bruce with fe206en(no mods) but ended up with fe206en in BiB/"bigger is better" BLHs.
The BiB's my favorit.
Old 27th March 2011, 05:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3n2 View Post
I tried bruce with fe206en(no mods) but ended up with fe206en in BiB/"bigger is better" BLHs.
The BiB's my favorit.
Could you please elaborate a bit? What makes the BIB version better than the Spawn? better bass? better FR? ease of construction?...

Jaz
Old 27th March 2011, 05:33 AM   #5
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbo8 View Post
Could you please elaborate a bit? What makes the BIB version better than the Spawn? better bass? better FR? ease of construction?...

Jaz
As Scott has mentioned above, the Bruce was intended for a different driver, and it makes a great deal of difference. If the BIB was designed with the 206 in mind, which the Bruce wasn't, then it would just be a better fit and I would assume that the FR was a bit better.

The BIB would almost certainly be easier to construct, however I believe that with the proper driver in a bifurcated horn specifically designed for that driver, that one might expect that the horn would prevail.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 27th March 2011, 07:30 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
What makes the BIB version better than the Spawn?
As a generalization:

Assumming the right driver in the spawn, a BIB will get better bass, at the expense of more ripple, requires a corner (or at least a wall) and is easy to construct.

The spawn will have more finese, and the edge in quality.

dave
Old 27th March 2011, 11:03 AM   #7
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

My experience though, compared with other multifold horns, is that with the BIB you can stuff your way out of most of the ripple while maintaining the edge in bass.
Old 27th March 2011, 11:09 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Great, thanks for the feedback, guys. I know these observations might be just generalization but wouldn't the Spawn with the same driver in a properly designed cabinet provide more bass since the design loads both the ceiling and the floor vs. the BIB's ceiling loading (again generally)?

Jaz
Old 27th March 2011, 11:19 AM   #9
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Great, thanks for the feedback, guys. I know these observations might be just generalization but wouldn't the Spawn with the same driver in a properly designed cabinet provide more bass since the design loads both the ceiling and the floor vs. the BIB's ceiling loading (again generally)?

Jaz
Unless the ceiling touches the top of the speaker, you are not going to get as much loading as from the bottom. The half of the energy emanating from the top will have slightly different tuning than the bottom and will therefore help to reduce ripple.
Old 4th April 2011, 02:45 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the feedback! I would really like to construct one of the spawn double horns for a number of reasons, the difficulty in construction being one of them.
The plotted frequency response on the Sachiko build seems to have significant dips in the lower mid-range. Bruce has a smoother plotted response, as does Hiro by a bit. If this is the case I may want to sacrifice a bit of bass extension and step down to the 166's and construct a set of the Hiro cabs. I had planned on building a powered sub to augment the bass at a later date so this is not too much of a concern. Thoughts?

Hide this!Advertise here!