Spawn Family Bruce BVR + FE206eN2(p10 fully enhanced). thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I have been trying to settle on plans and drivers for awhile and think I may have a solid idea together. I'd like to build the Spawn Family BVR cabinet for the 8" Fostex Driver("Bruce"). Difficulty in the building of cabs is not really my concern as I have the skills and tools to do so. Also it seems a good idea to order the drivers from Planet 10 (I don't quite trust my skills in modifying drivers yet.) Ideally ordering the 206En fully modded w/ basket stiffening.

I'd be using 3/4 Birch for most of the cab and was toying with the idea of using a denser, more solid wood just for the baffle.

Every time I think I have a good idea of what I want to put together, something changes due to more research or another opinion. All help welcome! Thanks guys.

That particular box is obsolete, which is why it's religated to the archives section (& will eventually be removed when we get around to updating the FH site). It wasn't all that well suited to the 206, being intended for its 207 stablemate. Of the free double-mouth designs on the FH site, Sachiko was the one for the 206.

Could you please elaborate a bit? What makes the BIB version better than the Spawn? better bass? better FR? ease of construction?...

Jaz

As Scott has mentioned above, the Bruce was intended for a different driver, and it makes a great deal of difference. If the BIB was designed with the 206 in mind, which the Bruce wasn't, then it would just be a better fit and I would assume that the FR was a bit better.

The BIB would almost certainly be easier to construct, however I believe that with the proper driver in a bifurcated horn specifically designed for that driver, that one might expect that the horn would prevail.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
Great, thanks for the feedback, guys. I know these observations might be just generalization but wouldn't the Spawn with the same driver in a properly designed cabinet provide more bass since the design loads both the ceiling and the floor vs. the BIB's ceiling loading (again generally)?

Jaz

Great, thanks for the feedback, guys. I know these observations might be just generalization but wouldn't the Spawn with the same driver in a properly designed cabinet provide more bass since the design loads both the ceiling and the floor vs. the BIB's ceiling loading (again generally)?

Jaz

Unless the ceiling touches the top of the speaker, you are not going to get as much loading as from the bottom. The half of the energy emanating from the top will have slightly different tuning than the bottom and will therefore help to reduce ripple.

Thanks for the feedback! I would really like to construct one of the spawn double horns for a number of reasons, the difficulty in construction being one of them.
The plotted frequency response on the Sachiko build seems to have significant dips in the lower mid-range. Bruce has a smoother plotted response, as does Hiro by a bit. If this is the case I may want to sacrifice a bit of bass extension and step down to the 166's and construct a set of the Hiro cabs. I had planned on building a powered sub to augment the bass at a later date so this is not too much of a concern. Thoughts?

>>> Could you please elaborate a bit?

Bigger Is Better 'BIB' Cabinet Dimensions - ZillaSpeak

BIB Calculator - Bigger Is Better Loudspeaker Design

BIBs work great in corners. Personally, i think they both need to be in corners to sound their best if used alone without bass augmentation. I just built another pair of BIBs and will report on them soon. They are in car ready to be transported to my office tomorrow morning.

I think building a smaller back horn (BIB, Bruce, Hiro, etc...) and mating them with a powered sub is a great idea! You get the improved dynamics and immediacy of the horn, some added efficiency in the mid and lower bass, larger imaging and better 'jump' factor. If you can accommodate the setup i think it's one of the best ways to enjoy music.

Zilla

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
>>> Could you please elaborate a bit?

Bigger Is Better 'BIB' Cabinet Dimensions - ZillaSpeak

BIB Calculator - Bigger Is Better Loudspeaker Design

BIBs work great in corners. Personally, i think they both need to be in corners to sound their best if used alone without bass augmentation. I just built another pair of BIBs and will report on them soon. They are in car ready to be transported to my office tomorrow morning.

I think building a smaller back horn (BIB, Bruce, Hiro, etc...) and mating them with a powered sub is a great idea! You get the improved dynamics and immediacy of the horn, some added efficiency in the mid and lower bass, larger imaging and better 'jump' factor. If you can accommodate the setup i think it's one of the best ways to enjoy music.

Zilla

Slightly OT, how would you guys compare FLH vs BLH? Do you get even more dynamics and immediacy, i.e., even more "immersive" listening experience? I have a pair of Alpair 12 and Fostex 126en coming, so can try a few different designs, I listen to everything but classical and crappy pop music...

Jaz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.