Looking for a small decent cabinet and driver - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2011, 05:03 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

I know about the cost of the tools and the need for power and sturdy setup, but thanks for the heads up. However I wonít need that because I want to use solid foam that I will cut with hot wire. Only the front panel will be birch. I am really confident this kind of foam is a good material and if it doesnít work it will be just wasted time and effort. I build foam airplanes and Iím used to that.

Regarding vent length, is it enough if I keep L1 = L3 ? What about L2 and L4 ?

Thank you,
Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cabinet section.jpg (20.9 KB, 221 views)
Old 29th March 2011, 05:44 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

>>> If the Fostex FE127 was still in production...

I'm excited by the new 125 and hope it's a good driver.
Old 29th March 2011, 05:51 PM   #23
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
>>> If the Fostex FE127 was still in production...

I'm excited by the new 125 and hope it's a good driver.
so say us all
Old 29th March 2011, 06:13 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

You can do roundovers with nothing more than a hand plane and some sand paper. It's even easier with a table saw. Assuming that your box is square and will fit on your table saw:

1. Make a 45* cut half as deep as your roundover.

2. Make a 22.5* cut on each side of the 45* cut.you will probably need to fiddle with this to get the first cut right.

3. Use a plane to form the roundover. It is a good idea to mark the centers of the flats so that you can see when the line just disappears.

4. Sand smooth.

I did this on a 2ft^3 sub and it worked perfectly --well, there is no way that the casual observer can see any out-of-roundness. Before I got a router, I put 3/4" roundovers on several MLTL's with nothing but a plane.

Bob
Old 29th March 2011, 06:46 PM   #25
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Speaker View Post
Regarding vent length, is it enough if I keep L1 = L3 ? What about L2 and L4 ?
Vent length is L1+L2 (complicated by a slight flare). If you make L3=L1+L2 less a couple mm (to compensate for no flare) and L4 >>7mm it would work (using numbers from the 15mm plans -- i notice at least a couple pages that need the dimensions tidied)

dave
Old 30th March 2011, 04:23 AM   #26
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
The large chamfers and narrow effective baffle are specifically purposeful
Here are pictures of the dMar-Ken7 Chris posted earlier with the right drivers in them.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 4th April 2011, 11:31 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

What is exactly the role of the bracing board? The Fonken plans say it needs to brace the driver. How is this accomplished and do I use any glue between driver and brace? I remember one of the plans suggests paper shimming the gap, but doesn’t say anything about gluing.
Old 5th April 2011, 04:34 AM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The holey brace does 2 things. 2. it braces the top, bottom, back & baffle, and 1/ it transmits driver energy to all those panels. The energy is thus distributed across all these panels decreasing the likelihood of this energy causing the baffle to resonate.

The driver magnet should fit firmly against the brace but not such that it stresses the basket.

dave
Old 5th April 2011, 06:24 AM   #29
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Someone else asked the same question about holey braces, the answer covered some other points.

Small Speakers for 5 channel single ended amp

dave
Old 28th February 2013, 03:05 PM   #30
LUCAB is offline LUCAB  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
IMO this design is one of Fostex's worst factory designs. We built it and were sadly dissapointed. If you get the fire hot enuff they burn well.

I'm working on a 4 litre bass reflex for this driver, probably doesn't go as low, but what bass it will produce i expect will be more satisfying.

If you want as small as possible, with some bass, the expanded Buschhorn Mk 1 (last page of the Frugel-Horn1 plans document). A bit bigger with better performance would be FH Mk1 Level 0, and a bit bigger than that (but simplier and higher performance) would be Frugel-Horn Mk3

dave
Good morning all the people!
Sorry for my bad english.
I am a newbie.
I was looking for a small cabinet for FE126EN and Dave told about "expanded Buschhorn Mk 1"
But I'm not able to find it.
Could anybody help me?
Or, have you got any other idea for a small project!
Thankyou very much!
Luca

Hide this!Advertise here!