BVR for TB W5-1611?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone (with special salutations to Dave and Scott, who seem to be the authorities on the BVR family),

I recently bought a pair of Tang Band W5-1611 drivers off eBay. I have been considering the existing cabinet designs but I am quite smitten with the BVR family, and I'm wondering if there are any existing plans which would suit this driver. The Brynn looks to be about the right size and footprint for me but of course I know it was designed with the Fostex drivers in mind. Could anyone offer help in adjusting the dimensions of that design to suit the W5? Are there any axioms to follow in the design of a BVR?

Hi, by the way! I've been lurking here for ages before I finally made the plunge into the full range world. I've been fascinated with full range drivers for ages and even made an ill-advised foray in my teens with a very poorly constructed BiB for the old ratshack 40-1354s. I'm hoping that this project goes better. :)

Chaz

Hi Chaz, what went wrong with the BIB? I actually have a pair of brand new never used RS 1354s in original boxes i've been saving for years. I was going to build a pair of Daitone look alikes in simple ported boxes but now i am thinking about a BIB to pay tribute to TC's original project and keep them as long as they make music.

As for the TB you purchased, i've not heard it but it looks like a great choice. I have a handful of TB drivers and think they all sound very good. The Brynn looks like a great project. I think the driver lends itself to other neat options as well.

Zilla

Hi Godzilla,

The BiB failed due to lack of forethought or building know-how. They were poorly constructed with (I imagine) a lot of leaks, and the stuffing was probably misplaced. It's been a while so I cannot remember exactly, but I do recall that there was no 'magic' to those speakers, and very little bass. I do not blame the BiB concept for that though. :)

I think the brynn will be a good project too, and I know that a lot of the other spawn are flexible enough to be used for either 4" or 5" drivers. But in the case of the Brynn, I can only assume that if certain dimensions were to be adjusted to accommodate the W5 then the performance could be improved. From what I've read a BVR should be about 10% larger than a basic BR; in that case, if I were to make a 17L BR for the W5, then a comparable BVR should be ~19L. Now here's what I'm wondering about: since the BVR's port is being horn loaded, should I tune the port lower than I would with a simple BR, and anticipate some gain to compensate for the lower port output?

The goal for me is to get the W5's output to about 40hz, which perhaps they can even do in a BR. (Some comments on German forums hint at that.) I figure that if I can get bass extension to 40hz then, in the spirit of full range, I can get rid of my sub! My space/listening needs do not demand any more extension than that.

Ah. Noted. :)

So what about expanding the Brynn's volume to 20L and tuning the port to about 45hz? I've drafted a box but I don't think it would take much imagination to picture it. I would just appreciate some feedback on whether or not this will work like I am expecting. The main advantages to the BVR as expounded on the frugal horn website is that the tuning doesn't change "as you turn up the wick" and that the designs offer aesthetic benefits. Other than that, how does the performance differ from a BR? This does not seem to be addressed from what I've read.

I'm bumping this thread with the hope that my question about the BVRs will get addressed: apart from the visual impact of the design, what exactly is the advantage of a BVR? Do they offer horn-style dynamics as well as looks? Any greater bass extension or cone excursion control?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.