Speaker scams - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2011, 05:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Angry Speaker scams

Hopefully this is not news, but fot anyone looking for speakers you are wise to investigate the hundreds of speaker rip offs by White Van Speakers. Don't be fooled by speakers that look like B&W, and other big brands.

Google it, hundreds of new speaker names some very easy to mix up with brand names. Pure junk...here is just one result.

**Newbies don't get scammed,White van speakers** - AVS Forum

BUYER BEWARE on eBay and Amazon and Yahoo too

I have reported many on eBay and eBay DOES NOTHING ABOUT THEM

Last edited by glassandlight; 23rd March 2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 23rd March 2011, 06:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Not news and basically the people who get caught up in these scams are victims of their own greed!
Old 23rd March 2011, 06:47 PM   #3
pinobot is offline pinobot  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinahcc20 View Post
Not news and basically the people who get caught up in these scams are victims of their own greed!
Yes, it's a good life lesson. Live and learn.
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

well that is one point of view. However, if someone is buying this crap on eBay, Amazon, Yahoo, or any other site and thinking it is a good deal...why would YOU call that greed? I AM STUNNED.

Getting ripped off is a [I]good[I] life lesson?????

What is with you people? Your attitude is if someone gets hurt, it is all the better for your place in life because you did not?

And everyone keeps wineing how and why things are so bad, so corrupt yet does nothing to help stop it? Well this post about White Van speaker assorted junk is my contribution to doing something to try help someone from getting hurt. What is your contribution ????

If this site is not suppose to be about helping others, then I am on the wrong site and what I read must be suspect.
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

If you read the classic "white van" scam script, the guys with the truck say, "The warehouse mistakenly loaded 5 sets in the truck and we only have 4 to deliver. If we take the 5th back they will just restock it." Translate...we'll steal it if you buy it cheap. It's no different than the Nigeria cash scams, pyramid scams (including Madoff), or most other varieties of scams. When the deal sounds way too good to be true, walk away. If you don't it's because your inner greed thinks it can get something for (next to) nothing. When you try and get burned, don't come crying for sympathy!
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm not for anyone getting ripped off, but I mean come on....

It's called 'White Van'. They're telling you it's a scam in the name!
Old 24th March 2011, 11:20 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

That does not explain eBay, Amazon, Yahoo, and other sites selling the junk. The site noted even has some fairly respected names selling it.

My point to put this on here is simply so some speaker shopper can be made aware of the 'trade names' this junk is being sold under, and it is not just from the back of a truck.

Granted...off a truck, in the flee market, dark alley...buyer beware, but it is beyond that now.
It is mainstream, and that is a different ball game.

I suppose since Americans can seem to forgive bankers and wall street thieves, shrug off the crimes, then it is no great surprise to be indifferent to anyone getting hood-winker even by trusted sources.

Enough I post no more.
Old 24th March 2011, 11:52 AM   #8
jmsent is offline jmsent  United States
diyAudio Member

So you end your participation in the thread with a slight towards Americans? Great. Have you ever considered that our American culture has been like this for many years and we're used to it. Scams abound and always have. They're so old that the term for avoiding them is in Latin: Caveat Emptor. While I appreciate what you're trying to say, there's simply no way to stop such things given the huge size of the problem. People who would buy white van speakers are the same people who fall for Nigerian money scams, willingly give away their social security number to strangers, and believe everything that's reported on cable news channels. Scammers play on greed and greed is what gets people in trouble. Don't be greedy and usually you won't get ripped off. Oh, and a little bit of skepticism combined with common sense doesn't hurt either.
Old 24th March 2011, 12:14 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Is it a scam in The Sense that The speakers are bring represented as fantastic when in fact they are cheap components..? Apart from that i cant see why, personally i would research anything i buy over fifty quid.
Old 24th March 2011, 01:01 PM   #10
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Also, while you're not buying B&W for a pocket money (as you hoped) you usualy get your money worth with this " crap".I heard those speakers and they sound right on the money so I don't see it as a scam or rip off per se.

Hide this!Advertise here!