Speaker scams

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hopefully this is not news, but fot anyone looking for speakers you are wise to investigate the hundreds of speaker rip offs by White Van Speakers. Don't be fooled by speakers that look like B&W, and other big brands.

Google it, hundreds of new speaker names some very easy to mix up with brand names. Pure junk...here is just one result.

**Newbies don't get scammed,White van speakers** - AVS Forum

BUYER BEWARE on eBay and Amazon and Yahoo too

I have reported many on eBay and eBay DOES NOTHING ABOUT THEM

Last edited:
well that is one point of view. However, if someone is buying this crap on eBay, Amazon, Yahoo, or any other site and thinking it is a good deal...why would YOU call that greed? I AM STUNNED.

Getting ripped off is a good life lesson?????

What is with you people? Your attitude is if someone gets hurt, it is all the better for your place in life because you did not?

And everyone keeps wineing how and why things are so bad, so corrupt yet does nothing to help stop it? Well this post about White Van speaker assorted junk is my contribution to doing something to try help someone from getting hurt. What is your contribution ????

If this site is not suppose to be about helping others, then I am on the wrong site and what I read must be suspect.

If you read the classic "white van" scam script, the guys with the truck say, "The warehouse mistakenly loaded 5 sets in the truck and we only have 4 to deliver. If we take the 5th back they will just restock it." Translate...we'll steal it if you buy it cheap. It's no different than the Nigeria cash scams, pyramid scams (including Madoff), or most other varieties of scams. When the deal sounds way too good to be true, walk away. If you don't it's because your inner greed thinks it can get something for (next to) nothing. When you try and get burned, don't come crying for sympathy!

That does not explain eBay, Amazon, Yahoo, and other sites selling the junk. The site noted even has some fairly respected names selling it.

My point to put this on here is simply so some speaker shopper can be made aware of the 'trade names' this junk is being sold under, and it is not just from the back of a truck.

Granted...off a truck, in the flee market, dark alley...buyer beware, but it is beyond that now.
It is mainstream, and that is a different ball game.

I suppose since Americans can seem to forgive bankers and wall street thieves, shrug off the crimes, then it is no great surprise to be indifferent to anyone getting hood-winker even by trusted sources.

Enough I post no more.

So you end your participation in the thread with a slight towards Americans? Great. Have you ever considered that our American culture has been like this for many years and we're used to it. Scams abound and always have. They're so old that the term for avoiding them is in Latin: Caveat Emptor. While I appreciate what you're trying to say, there's simply no way to stop such things given the huge size of the problem. People who would buy white van speakers are the same people who fall for Nigerian money scams, willingly give away their social security number to strangers, and believe everything that's reported on cable news channels. Scammers play on greed and greed is what gets people in trouble. Don't be greedy and usually you won't get ripped off. Oh, and a little bit of skepticism combined with common sense doesn't hurt either.

There used to be a guy [no mention of nationality:-] who would come up to you in one of the service areas on the M6 and say that he'd not got the money to buy fuel to get to a port and could he sell you his 'expensive' coat. Of course he'd never remember who he'd asked and who he hadn't and I used to say to him, 'Don't tell me!! you need the money to get to the port, how have you managed to feed yourself since the last time you asked me three weeks ago'

And off he'd go to find someone else completely non-plussed by the encounter with me.

He must have made a good living out of it for about 20 years, he always drove a very nice car.

Jim

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Certainly not new news, I was approached by two guys in a white van probably 10 years ago wanting to sell me a set of Home Theater speakers. It was a slightly different story, The customer had backed out of the deal and now they had to sell them at less than cost so that they could get back what they could (as they had family's to feed).

I didn't even look at them... not long after I saw an article in the paper about the white van speaker scam.

Ebay is absolutely full of scams, not just speakers, I'm extremely reluctant to buy anything off ebay these days.

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.