Aussie Redback 8" Coaxial Design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2011, 12:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Aussie Redback 8" Coaxial Design

I recently purchased two Redback C-2005 from Alltronics. They are an 8" 8R full range coaxial driver with a little tweeter mounted like a mushroom in the centre. The drivers which are very well built are on sale at the moment for $35 ea.

If there is anyone out there that wants to join me in designing a box around this driver, then give me a hoy!

I really don't know, but I have a sneaking suspicion the Redbacks will sound pretty good.
Old 22nd March 2011, 02:00 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sure! I am in a messing around phase ATM and I might grab a couple to play with. My son needs a small vocal PA / monitor system and they might fill the bill nicely.
Old 22nd March 2011, 02:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello Blackie! I am a Joiner and retired busker - 10yrs playing blues on guitar and harmonica - eased up a bit now because I'm too old and arthritic!

When I was thrashing my acoustic guitar I had a pair of little yellow amps (Crate Taxi's) they were powered by a 7Ah gelcel inside each enclosure. They had an 8" speaker similar to the redback. Everyone made the same remarks about that system. "Boy oh boy those little amps have a 'big' warm sound". The enclosures were in the shape of a foldback wedge and were about 30lt in volume. They were sealed. Vocal reproduction was excellent and my singing improved due to the fact that I could keep pitch with the aid of a little bit of delay on the mike.

It's nice to meet you blackie. The speakers are available from;
8 Ohm 200mm 50W Coax Speaker : PHOTONAGE Discount Electronics Superstore

We will talk again in the next week or two - It's nice to have a bit of engineering knowledge on the job!

Cheers and bye for now, Phil E. - Devonport Tas. 0447 517 054
Old 22nd March 2011, 07:04 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Greets Phil !

There isn't much data on the website so I guess we will have to wait until we get our hands on them and measure their T/S parameters etc.
I have not bought from Photonage before. What kind of delivery times can we expect?

Regards,
Keith Arnold
Old 27th March 2013, 01:10 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well, they disappeared for a while but a fellow DIYer told me they were back on the Photonage website again, so I bought a couple. I note that they are now shown as 'Sold Out' so I am not sure what the long term availability might be....

Anyway, I have a pair in front of me and I am hoping to test them and run them in over Easter. I will report my findings.

Rgds
blakkstairspassage

p.s. also on the Altronics website. Have they just returned, or were they there all the time and I missed them?

Last edited by blakkshepeaudio; 27th March 2013 at 01:28 AM. Reason: added p.s.
Old 28th March 2013, 06:15 AM   #6
Spec is offline Spec  Australia
diyAudio Member

Throw them in a nice BIB?
Old 28th March 2013, 01:09 PM   #7
ryani is offline ryani  United States
diyAudio Member

Just a quick question. In essence, is this the same speaker from goldwood? I stumbled across it last night on the parts express site.

Has anyone used these in a home application?

Goldwood GW-8004 8" Coaxial Speaker 290-378
Old 29th March 2013, 06:52 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

No. It is not the same. The Redback beastie has an inverted foam surround. Whether or not their performance is similar I can't say and I have not yet measured the TS parameters for comparison.

They are certainly similar in concept, and apparently designed for similar applications, so may well have similar strengths and weaknesses.

Rgds
blakkanalia

Hide this!Advertise here!