3D sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wasn't sure which Forum to put this in so I thougth I would start here.

In a recent interview on BBC radio 4 a Professor Choueriri from Princeton University demonstrated a new (patented) method of acheiving a 3D sound field with 2 speakers using a new filter that he has designed. He claims that it will be very simple to introduce and cheap. It works in the same way as the miniambio in that it controls the crosstalk between the 2 channels of a stereo recording.
Any one else come across this? Any thoughts?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Thanx for that. I'll have to dig thru the site. The book i am currently reading, Spatial Hearing, could be one of the text books for the course, and it looks like there might be some updates to what i'm reading.

From the video, he has another crosstalk canceller algorithm. And it needs binaural recordings.

This kind of research is important, be nice to hear a real demo. From the example in the video it may have application in video conference with crappy speakers.

dave

I had a 12" vinyl disc years ago (80's) that had a variety of sound effects on it that were recorded using "Holophonics" and made by "Zucharreli Labs" (not sure if the spelling is correct) When listened to on head phones the effect was amazing; one of the tracks was the "haircut with scissors" which is used by Prof. Choueriri to demonstrate the 3-axis capability of the method. I wish I still had the disc. One track was a box of matches being shaken in front of you forming a figure and then being thrown behind you; it was quite something to hear that back then and on vinyl.

Years ago, maybe in 1987 or close to it anyway, I heard a CBC Radio play in 3D. At the time, I remember they said the technology was invented by a German engineer. I never really heard about it again. I'm not sure why that's not actively being done. Maybe the large music companies now are more interested in finding out the different demographics for various styles of music and choreographing dance routines for the singers.

I wasn't sure which Forum to put this in so I thougth I would start here.

In a recent interview on BBC radio 4 a Professor Choueriri from Princeton University demonstrated a new (patented) method of acheiving a 3D sound field with 2 speakers using a new filter that he has designed. He claims that it will be very simple to introduce and cheap. It works in the same way as the miniambio in that it controls the crosstalk between the 2 channels of a stereo recording.
Any one else come across this? Any thoughts?

Hi,

Search for cross talk cancelling. There are many systems. One implementation is Ambiophonics

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/36254-try-ambiophonics-your-speakers.html

- Elias

Really? No joke?

BTW, does anyone know the name of that German engineer I mentioned in my previous post? Or the name of the technology used in that radio play?

I tell you, for me it's the all time bestbuy, because it does something that no other Fullranger can do(and I have many of them all sizes and Brands), it goes beyond 3D:) but FAST allignment is a must!(Fullrange And Subwoofer Technology) because you got to cut them at about 400-600Hz(or 1kHz with 6dB) if you want it to go louder without distortions, it's a midhigh module that materialises new sonic dimensions ;)
6moons audio reviews: Boenicke Audio SLS
AUDIOMANUFACTURE ULTIMATE GRADE MUSICAL PLAYBACK INSTRUMENTS AND RECORDINGS

And I really can't imagine a better driver for electro music, it's ridicuolous and funny what it does :D
I don't know how to explain it, but also the bass has more dimensionality in space then with other widerangers, for hometheater is that maybe the best driver on planet maybe intergalactic sonic :superman:uper beamer:D

bemas wide, sweet spot is almost in the whole room, and real narrower sweetspot turns the whole room into soundstage, you float in sound and sound floats around you, new experience for senses

I haven't yet heard RAAL ribbons, but I think it's very close hehe :D

Last edited:
original box about 300ml and i haven't had time to make propper enclosures, because it sounded allready perfect(bass units were under desk from the floor raised with some books), and then, because what happiness they give, gave it to a friend to listen, and now they are at one another friend waiting to be enjoyed, it's a supersonic drug hahahaa :D
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the character of sound is brighter, but i would say they are very detailed, and... no i can't describe what dimension they make you got to hear and feel how they projects the happening of music dimension in the room, soundbeamers

Can't wait to heard them again :D

PS: one neighbours baby has cried all day long, and then my friend whom i gave those flat aliante TB, has taken the babykid to his room where the TB's played some jazzy relaxing music and he at once stoped crying and become happy and started to clap with his tiny hands because he also feeled this super soundfield lol:soapbox::cheerful::cheers: and then he carried him out and he starts crying again, then he took him again to listen to mini aliante:p

if I had to chose between flat TB und Coral Flat 5II(behind TB in picture) I would/t know which to chose, both are marvelous :)
this is gonna be delight to watch with TB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gegU39tMbW4&feature=share
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPoHPNeU9fc&feature=share

Last edited:
Apparently the 3D aspect of the chip is to compensate for closer than ideal speaker positioning so might be of some use according circumstance.
I agree that a well designed system conveys a 3D soundscape. I have just completed a speaker build using the drivers from the Wharfedale Modus Cube and have been astonished at the clarity and space and range that these drivers can produce. They are running full range with no crossover in a ported box of about 14 litres. I am amazed at the difference...........really quite amazed! I have never heard so much bass from a 4" driver.

The strange thing about this is that anything he can do can also be done by the mixing engineer and hardcoded onto a CD.

There are some mixes that just as is, provide phantom side speakers.

It can be a mixture of negative cross talk and a phase shift which pulls sounds around the back of your head instead of the front. A normal panner uses crosstalk but when you use negative it has no where else to go except the other direction - outside of the speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.