Compact FAST / WAW design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a compact F.A.S.T. design. Something with a 6.5" bass driver and a 3" or 4" FR would fit my needs best I think.
I'm looking for a stand mounted speaker with maximum dimensions of about 25cm (10") wide, 45cm (18") high and 35cm (14") deep.
Anyone build anything like this?

Something with an SDX7 and FR125 would be very interesting.
But other design are very welcome too, obviously. :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
SDX7 + FF85. Alpair 6 or Fountek FR88 or other 3" could be substituted.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/144099-thread-tysen-variations-fast-4.html#post1833349

miniTys3D.gif

dave

I have read trough the Tysen thread already.
That's a nice design, but I'm a little afraid the -3dB on the SDX7 will be a little disappointing in such a small sealed box.
Does that config even work with a passive x-over? (don't have 4 amplified channels (...yet?))

I have read trough the Tysen thread already.
That's a nice design, but I'm a little afraid the -3dB on the SDX7 will be a little disappointing in such a small sealed box.
Does that config even work with a passive x-over? (don't have 4 amplified channels (...yet?))

to answer the second question - at the XO employed in the Tysen ( circa 300Hz), passive high level would certainly be possible, but it's not hard to imagine that the cost of parts could be greater than the drivers, and their dimensions not tiny either

for example, the Jordan 2-way calls for 100mF HP cap to JX6, and the Mark Audio design's more flexible "anywhere from 200 to 5kHZ" ( personally I wouldn't waste the wonderful lower mid-range & upper mid bass of the Alpairs by crossing over any higher than 300) could range in values from 200mF on HP for 1st order to approx 100mF & 50mF plus chokes for 2nd order

altogether a very good justification for line level and active amplification, and how many of us don't have at least one ole SS amp or receiver lying around that wouldn't work for at least proof of concept on the woofers?

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, I kow there are limits to the bass extension in a smaller box. But 15 liter or a little more should be possible.

Tysen is 17 liters. Once you get over ~14 litre stuffing can have greater effect than extra volume. 21 litre effective volume (Q = 0.5) is as large as you want to go

Why do you think F10 is telling more then F3? Does that have to do with room-gain?

This is from Toole (Sound Reprodiution). F3 did not correlate with jusgements of extension of bass. He does have a tested metric that is (i'd have to go look it up)

dsve

From other topics I noticed you prefer using the SDX7 in a sealed application. (and some disagree)
I intend to get as much bass-extension out of a small speaker and I'm not looking for an high SPL application. (I use a 6.5"mid-bass now with much less Xmax and never ran into problems)
I realize that the extra bass-extension comes with higher requirements towards Xmax, but I think the SDX7 has plenty.

Would a BR application be a good option in this case and if so, how much could I win going that route?

(in the meantime I'm considering a MiniDSP and fixing my chip-amp to go active)

From other topics I noticed you prefer using the SDX7 in a sealed application. (and some disagree)
I intend to get as much bass-extension out of a small speaker and I'm not looking for an high SPL application. (I use a 6.5"mid-bass now with much less Xmax and never ran into problems)
I realize that the extra bass-extension comes with higher requirements towards Xmax, but I think the SDX7 has plenty.

Would a BR application be a good option in this case and if so, how much could I win going that route?

(in the meantime I'm considering a MiniDSP and fixing my chip-amp to go active)

SDX7's X-max is not unlimited, and you'll definitely hear when it's exceeded. It's major appeal for us is the performance possible in very small sealed enclosures, which particularly suits applications like the Tysen, or multiple woofers for HT systems.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Chris touched on our use of SDX7. The SDX7 gives no warning of running out of excursion. You just get a very disturbing "fart" when the voice coil hits its stops. To avoid this one needs to use a sealed box, an aperiodic box (the TL we built had to get stuffed to aperiodic to avoid the ugly noises, or you need to actively filter below the tuning frequency of a "vented" box.

Remeber that when you look at how loe a woofer goes F3 is mostly meaningless, F10 is much more significant, and things will sounf better if the slope of the roll-off more closely matches the room gain,

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We have no issues with SDX7 bottoming when sealed. My room is pretty large, the amp we were using was running out before the speakers, max levels were louder than i usually listen to (bit not really really loud).

14 litre sims as Q = 0.58, F3 ~ 70 Hz, F10 ~ 33 Hz

The chart is from the SDX7 sealed doc, 3.5, 7, 14, 21 litre, Q = 1.0, 0.707. 0.58, 0.5

dave

Attachments

• SDX7-sealed-alignments.gif
    SDX7-sealed-alignments.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 256
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.