Full range in the face. Advice please. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2011, 04:23 AM   #1
cricha5 is offline cricha5  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Full range in the face. Advice please.

I just finished making a single ended amp for my computer and I'd like to make a matched set of speakers for it. Two amps done and done! I think I've settled on the Fostex fe126en, but there are too many enclosure,baffle step and Zobel options. The way my computer is set up, the speakers are around 3 feet from my face, which makes me think I'll really need baffle step correction. Or am I thinking backwards about that? Also, I have recently learned how to do simple things with wood, but I am definitely not skilled enough to take on building a horn enclosure. I was thinking either a version of the arpeggio from the articles here on diyaudio or the bass reflex enclosure on the fostex datasheet.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oh, and I listen to all kinds of music, from David Bowie to Bach to Dethklok.
Old 16th March 2011, 05:50 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The factory enclosures have a rep (deserved) for not being very good. The 126 reflex looks particularily uglu (bottom curve). The other 2 are 4 litres tuned to 105 or 125 Hz.

I'd build the last one with a high resistance vent to flatten the peak and extend the response -- i suspect the vent would need to wrap around the box.

I'd suggest that the FH3 is probably the smallest box that will get decent bass out of these (well maybe a FH1 Level 0 or a modified Buschhorn 1, they are marginally smaller, a lot more complicated, and don't work as well)

To aid your woodwork, flat-paks of the FH3 are becoming available.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif FE126En-BR-sims.gif (25.0 KB, 397 views)
Old 16th March 2011, 06:04 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

PS: you going to be using the 6V6 on these?

dave
Old 16th March 2011, 06:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. Yes, the speakers are for the 6sn7, 6v6 amp, not the dc coupled mono one. The mono one is just for the kitchen and is powering a 3 inch hivi in a tin can.
Old 16th March 2011, 07:16 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

f you want small, and some bass, you might well consider the EL70. You should have plenty of power for near-field use.

dave
Old 16th March 2011, 07:24 AM   #6
AEIOU is offline AEIOU  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Send a message via AIM to AEIOU Send a message via MSN to AEIOU Send a message via Yahoo to AEIOU
Baffle step is not necessitated by your distance from the loudspeakers. More by their distance from nearby boundaries, significantly the rear wall.
Why would you need a Zobel? Do you plan on crossovering them? Or are you just trying to hold down the rising impedance for your amplifiers sake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricha5 View Post
I just finished making a single ended amp for my computer and I'd like to make a matched set of speakers for it. Two amps done and done! I think I've settled on the Fostex fe126en, but there are too many enclosure,baffle step and Zobel options. The way my computer is set up, the speakers are around 3 feet from my face, which makes me think I'll really need baffle step correction. Or am I thinking backwards about that? Also, I have recently learned how to do simple things with wood, but I am definitely not skilled enough to take on building a horn enclosure. I was thinking either a version of the arpeggio from the articles here on diyaudio or the bass reflex enclosure on the fostex datasheet.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oh, and I listen to all kinds of music, from David Bowie to Bach to Dethklok.
Old 16th March 2011, 07:35 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The setup goes, wall-two foot deep desk-me, walls to the left and right at about 4 feet and about 8 feet behind.

Arpeggio Loudspeaker makes a good argument for a Zobel network for SET amps.

What about a simple Fonken? I think I could build one of those. Can anyone point me to their theory of operation?
Old 16th March 2011, 07:52 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricha5 View Post
What about a simple Fonken? I think I could build one of those. Can anyone point me to their theory of operation?
Fonken would work great but you'd have to find some drivers or budget for the tricked out ones. I only have a few pair left (FE126 does not work in Fonken) -- i also have flat-paks for the milli.

dave
Old 16th March 2011, 06:48 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Second the suggestion on EL70 / CHR70 for nearfield - BSC not likely to be required.

Box as small as attached would make a pretty decent little desk-top and not a hard build

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...map-231009.pdf
Old 16th March 2011, 07:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I've now looked at the EL70, and it looks perfect. Thanks. Decision made. Will try baffle step correction only if needed and no Zobel network. Done.

Now for the enclosure. I really do like the last design posted and I think I can build it, but I don't understand the theory behind it. What is the baffle that divides the driver for? Why not just use a port?

After a failed theremin experiment, I will no longer build something without understanding it completely first.

Hide this!Advertise here!