Full range speakers for boombox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does that look right? 73.2L with 34.77Hz tuning and a 10cm port that is 20cm long. Last thing I want to do is build a box that is totally wrong.

Tuning is way too low. You have to remember the excursion limit is +/-4mm so it will bottom out at very low volumes with that tuning frequency. The tuning Q is also too low for outdoors use. Even in a large room the optimum Q is 1, outside the relative equivalent of medium size room Q of 0.7 is a Q of 1.2. Luckily it's pretty easy to calculate when you have the Q 0.7 tuning; divide volume with Pi and multiply Fb with SQRT(2).

Even then it's going to be pretty big, and a fair bit larger than my Boominator I fear.

Where do I set that in WinISD? Do you have a link to some information about this Q?

I'm not sure what you mean by divide volume with Pi as this works out to 23.3L which is smaller. 34.77 * sqrt(2) = 49.17Hz makes more sense though. Is 10cm port diameter still OK?

Where do I set that in WinISD? Do you have a link to some information about this Q?

I'm not sure what you mean by divide volume with Pi as this works out to 23.3L which is smaller. 34.77 * sqrt(2) = 49.17Hz makes more sense though. Is 10cm port diameter still OK?

It's not something you can set. The calculation I described above transform a normal Q 0.7 tuning that you can get from WINISD to an exactly Q 1.2 tuning. Both parts of the calculation are needed, you have to both lower the Vb AND increase Fb, otherwise it doesn't work.

10cm port is fine but you can probably get away with a smaller diameter port if needed.

I've uploaded a drawing of the box I am going to make. Hopefully its all OK.

Volume on each side is 25.3L which allows for the port volume and driver displacement. Port will be 6.6cm long.

Center section holds the batteries and amp, will make the side come off on one side.

Attachments

• Box.pdf
    60.1 KB · Views: 110
I've uploaded a drawing of the box I am going to make. Hopefully its all OK.

Volume on each side is 25.3L which allows for the port volume and driver displacement. Port will be 6.6cm long.

Center section holds the batteries and amp, will make the side come off on one side.

Hi,

IMO:Your design is OK and will definitively deliver more appreciated SQ than a typical boom-box ever would do.(See the picture)

Suggestion: Test with different port lengths: 1.2-6.6 cm, 6.6 cm is Hi-Fi but not necessarily best for open air 2Pi venues.

b :)

Attachments

• VisatonBG20-8_ported.JPG
    VisatonBG20-8_ported.JPG
    629.7 KB · Views: 278
Here is what I made.
Stereo head. 2x 6" Pioneer speakers one on either end.
Takes 1 x 12V battery for about a days running.

The head takes CD's, SD and USB sticks.

The tube has a small 4" bass driver mounted inside the Wavin pipe.

Sound - fantastic.

Shoog

Attachments

• boombox1.jpg
    boombox1.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 269
  • boombox2.jpg
    boombox2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 233
Hi,

IMO:Your design is OK and will definitively deliver more appreciated SQ than a typical boom-box ever would do.(See the picture)

Suggestion: Test with different port lengths: 1.2-6.6 cm, 6.6 cm is Hi-Fi but not necessarily best for open air 2Pi venues.

b :)
Thanks for going over it for me!

I dont know what the heck I'm supposed to do with all that data in the picture but I'll take your word for it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.