alpair/lowther comparison? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2011, 05:30 AM   #1
fxs is offline fxs  Chile
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Default alpair/lowther comparison?

you see everywhere people talking about the lowthers as the best fullranges overthere... but given the reviews on the alpairs, i would like to know if someones has compared the two
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 08:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Scottmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
Probably not, as the only thing they really have in common is that both Lowther & Mark Audio produce wideband moving coil drive units. Everything in terms of design priorities etc. & how they're engineered is very different, so about all your comparison would tell you is precisely that: they're different.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 15th March 2011 at 08:33 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 10:11 AM   #3
jemraid is offline jemraid  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NE Derbyshire
Hello FXS and Hello Scott,

My first encounter with decent audio was a pair of Lowthers in Acousta cabinets, prior to that the Dansette record player with a penny on the arm. Jack whose Lowthers I'd listened to took me to a HiFi exhibition at a hotel near Heathrow, I had a headache, we eventually got back to the Lowther demo room, chose a record had a cup of tea and sat listening.

My headache went and I remember saying to Jack, who had got the plans for some behemoth multidrive unit thingies that we'd heard, that the Lowthers sounded much better. Some years later as my situtaion in life improved I made some mini-acoustas myself with PM6 units, as it does life gives you a smack around the head and I had to sell them, move to a smaller house and give up on the audio.

Now many years later I have a small room at the back of our garage to listen in, make my model railways, repair sewing machines etc, too small for Lowthers even if I could afford some.

Two weeks ago I went to Colin's [Toppsy] house to listen to his FH3's and when I heard the CHP-70's I heard that which I never thought I would ever do so again, the sound I first heard at Jack's. Easy is the simplest way that I can describe it and that's what I said to Jack in that Lowther room, everything else struggles.

I'm sure they do not sound the same, memory plays tricks but they've got to be within half a Gnats knacker of each other.

Jim
__________________
FH3 build using very simple tools and a point to point Gain Clone with largish power supply. http://www.jasread.com/fh3/index.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 11:43 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
analog_sa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sofia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemraid View Post
My headache went

After listening to Lowthers? That must be a first
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 01:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nashville
Half Gnats Knacker you say!
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 01:46 PM   #6
jemraid is offline jemraid  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NE Derbyshire
Well a few tenths of a thou then :-)
__________________
FH3 build using very simple tools and a point to point Gain Clone with largish power supply. http://www.jasread.com/fh3/index.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 02:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Godzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
>>> we eventually got back to the Lowther demo room, chose a record had a cup of tea and sat listening.

I had a similar experience in NYC. A friend of mine and i ran from room to room listening to what we could but ended up back in the Rethm room listening to Lowthers.

>>> as it does life gives you a smack around the head and I had to sell them, move to a smaller house...

Thanks for that... life does give you a smack every now and then... when i get mine i wonder where my audio gear will go?

>>> Now many years later I have a small room at the back of our garage to listen in, make my model railways, repair sewing machines etc...

Yup... maybe not exactly what you are doing but for the most part similar enough... and i believe i will in fact end up in a garage.

>>> I'm sure they do not sound the same... but they've got to be within half a Gnats knacker of each other.

Exactly correct! They do not sound the same but provide the right kind of listening pleasure for you at this stage of the game. I understand completely. We can all enjoy white chocolate, milk chocolate and dark chocolate... all different but all enjoyable just the same.

Thanks for the enjoyable post.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 04:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nashville
Man I wish someone in Nashville had a.pair of lowthers
Or Rethms! Anybody help scratch and itch please!
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 06:54 PM   #9
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dhaka
Jemraid,

Been listening to Don Henley's "Boys of Summer" again and again for the last couple of days... and I come across your post! Thanks for the thoughtful post.

Zilla, great analogy with chocolate!

-Zia

Last edited by zman01; 15th March 2011 at 07:09 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 06:58 PM   #10
fxs is offline fxs  Chile
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemraid View Post
Hello FXS and Hello Scott,

My first encounter with decent audio was a pair of Lowthers in Acousta cabinets, prior to that the Dansette record player with a penny on the arm. Jack whose Lowthers I'd listened to took me to a HiFi exhibition at a hotel near Heathrow, I had a headache, we eventually got back to the Lowther demo room, chose a record had a cup of tea and sat listening.

My headache went and I remember saying to Jack, who had got the plans for some behemoth multidrive unit thingies that we'd heard, that the Lowthers sounded much better. Some years later as my situtaion in life improved I made some mini-acoustas myself with PM6 units, as it does life gives you a smack around the head and I had to sell them, move to a smaller house and give up on the audio.

Now many years later I have a small room at the back of our garage to listen in, make my model railways, repair sewing machines etc, too small for Lowthers even if I could afford some.

Two weeks ago I went to Colin's [Toppsy] house to listen to his FH3's and when I heard the CHP-70's I heard that which I never thought I would ever do so again, the sound I first heard at Jack's. Easy is the simplest way that I can describe it and that's what I said to Jack in that Lowther room, everything else struggles.

I'm sure they do not sound the same, memory plays tricks but they've got to be within half a Gnats knacker of each other.

Jim
nice post, thanks
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alpair 12 vs Alpair 10.2 and a little Fostex 166 germpod Full Range 4 28th January 2011 03:19 PM
Head to head comparison of Manger and Lowther in Acousta and Front horns David Pinnegar Full Range 3 12th January 2011 12:59 AM
Alpair 12en in BIBen cabinet or Alpair 7 in fonken w/subs tripathdude Full Range 1 7th November 2010 05:04 AM
Alpair 10 more forgiving than Alpair 7 & 12 tripathdude Full Range 3 6th November 2010 06:14 AM
Alpair 10 Bass + Alpair 5 - Woodwill Japan markaudio Markaudio 16 26th January 2010 11:48 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:45 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2