LCR full Range Soundbar - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2011, 01:51 AM   #1
kampo is offline kampo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default LCR full Range Soundbar

ok had the big speaker thing for awhile, but the GF and soon to be wife is not really happy about it lately, and thinking about finally giving in and downsizing.

currently I have some old optimus fronts and center (LX10 and CS5 Center) and some cheapy wall mounted surrounds (first casualty were my LX5s which looked to gaudy wall mounted).

back in the day I helped my friend build a 5.1 setup with a PE Dayton Sub and some ELF 1.5s and I really liked the sound of that and what i'm thinking is i'm reading alot of buzz about the HiFi B3N speakers.

my current thought is to do some kind of basic soundbar for under my TV which will be wall mounted (50in Panny Plasma) and then a couple small speakers simlar to the ones Zaph has on his site for rears.

Thinking of using 6 drivers for the soundbar in a LCR type setup, thinking that running them in a 1.5way type setup, but haven't been able to find much info on how to know how to build the crossover for that. also not sure on if I should just make it a sealed bar so i don't have to worry about ports or some kind of front ported design. bar would be 48in long and 6in deep. then the height is based on how much volume i'll need for the speakers.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? am I completely crazy?
Old 15th March 2011, 07:02 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I'd tend towards sealed. I'd also look at the Aura 3" (on sales at Madisound) or the Fountek FR88ex (double your budget but probably worth it)

In a 1.5 way one driver has a series inductor (drivers wired in parallel)

dave
Old 15th March 2011, 12:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

1. Not sure you need a 1.5 if the sound bar is flush against the wall (the .5 is typically used to compensate for speakers pulled out into the room, i.e. baffle step).

2. Sealed will give you a gentle rolloff that can often blend better with a sub. But if there is no sub, ported would give you more bass (a lower -3db cutoff frequency).

3. Is this just for low SPL's? For higher (typical home theater) SPL's, choice of driver would be critical (or alternatively, a sub would be a good idea to offload the bass from the smaller drivers).

4. Port could vent out the bottom if you don't want it on the front.
Old 15th March 2011, 01:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

There will be a sub. Would like to get decent volume. At planets recommendations I have been eyeing those aurasounds at madisound. Look like they may fit the bill. After some research saw they like a 1.5 to 2 liter enclosure. Thinking a 48in 4in tall and deep. Would give just over 2l sealed. Then will build 2 more speakers for surrounds. That are 4x4x16 would the aurasounds need a notch filter like the b3ns?
Old 15th March 2011, 03:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Sage Advice....

Change your GF.

Eric.
Old 15th March 2011, 03:47 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeedback View Post
Change your GF.

Eric.

I'm sure there's things the GF/fiance can do for kampo that the audio system can't

IIRC, even though that'll last only a few years, the memories are fodder for ever
Old 15th March 2011, 07:37 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbond3rd View Post
1. Not sure you need a 1.5 if the sound bar is flush against the wall (the .5 is typically used to compensate for speakers pulled out into the room, i.e. baffle step).
A situation where a 1.5 way with series connected drivers & a (big) cap shunted across the 0.5 driver. No extra dB provided (with a typical SS amp), but 2x the cone area at low volumes.

One of the advantages of the Aura is no need for a notch.

dave
Old 15th March 2011, 08:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

So those box sizes sound decent? If I did the 1.5 for the Soundbar (getting the vibe it may not be worth it) what components would I need for the crossover.
Old 17th March 2011, 05:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ok going to order the speakers. Now you guys were talking about the aura sound 3in speakers. What was the one you would recommended 194 or 193
Old 17th March 2011, 05:58 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

193. 194 is more of a mid-tweeter and would need helper woofer.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!