Bofu is gone, but how about this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
What about the BOFU with the VIFA XT25SC90-04? I can get these for very inexpensive making the price very attractive. Crossover point could be pretty low and sensitivity is pretty close as well. I've never heard this particular version of the Ring Radiator tweet but I've heard the others and really liked them.

The VIFA XT25 is a great tweeter. Meant to be used in a two or three way loudspeaker. Probably not the best super tweeter for a full ranger though.

I've always been a big fan of Vifa tweets. I have had them in DIY, commercial and car applications. Honestly though, I haven't heard any of the newer generations of Vifas. i.e. xt/new vifa. I have heard that the Sonus Faber line uses xt series. I can readily audition those to get an idea.

p.s. Yes. I was one of the D25ag guys back in the day.

I've always been a big fan of Vifa tweets. I have had them in DIY, commercial and car applications. Honestly though, I haven't heard any of the newer generations of Vifas. i.e. xt/new vifa. I have heard that the Sonus Faber line uses xt series. I can readily audition those to get an idea.

p.s. Yes. I was one of the D25ag guys back in the day.

Yeah I've heard the higher end ones in a couple Onix speakers and really liked them. They have a bit of sizzle on the top but that's not necessarily bad. Just don't know how well they'd do with just a cap to block the highs, don't really want to get into a full blown network to compensate ...

Yes on the tweeter

I think you should go tweeter from the start. Even on the full-range BOFU, when guys added the tweeter, they were much happier.

Find an inexpensive tweeter you like that can cross as low as possible. Yes, you'll have a gaping hole in your power response. For what you're spending, will you really care? Have some fun!:D

I think you should go tweeter from the start. Even on the full-range BOFU, when guys added the tweeter, they were much happier.

Find an inexpensive tweeter you like that can cross as low as possible. Yes, you'll have a gaping hole in your power response. For what you're spending, will you really care? Have some fun!:D

Well I can get the Vifa VERY cheap and it can be crossed very low so should I just go with that? And should the tweet just be capped for the crossover or actually build a full on crossover?

I'd get a handfull of caps, then play with the crossover point of the tweeter.
I'd imagine you'd want a pole at 10khz, but maybe as low as 5khz. Remember that if you have to pad the tweeter down, you have to change the cap value to keep the same crossover point.

With the 6db crossover, slide the tweeter back and forth till it sounds best, then add felt/foam to absorb highs from bouncing off the wood nearby.

Most liked to add a ribbon to the jordan driver (12db, not even time aligned, 5khz I think). It added sparkle and off axis dispersion. Speakers can sound off to you if the woofer is wide dispersion but the tweeter (highs) is narrow dispersion. To me, that is the sound when people say the sound seems like it is coming from a flashlight.

I can't remember, but I think I perefered my b20 with a piezo actively crossed at 5khz@24db, but that was years ago when I wasn't as picky as I am now.

Gemme Audio's "Tanto" used a flat measuring 6.5" silver flute driver run wide open with the vifa xt19 used a single cap on the tweeter. Running an 8" you will lose response off axis above 2khz, but a dip from 2-5khz isn't offensive to most ears.

So, yea, go for it.

Norman

Remember the Pioneer woofer I'm thinking of using is a conventional 8", not a full range. According to the PE driver test results I really can't cross it any higher than 3000hz, 2500hz more likely.

So this is a conventional driver arrangement in a non-conentional box; a chang. The reason I chose this driver is the similarity to the original bofu in lower frequency response along with qts/vas/fs and of course, the price.

With that in mind I'll need to chose a tweet that I can cross as low as 2500hz that has good efficiency.

What tweeters do you think are likely candidates with these concerns in mind?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.