Everyone has a favorite what's yours?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a poll of your favorite single driver speaker and box.
Out of the driver,box combos I've heard I would have to say it's the Decware cornerhorns
A single 6" Fostex in a complex horn.
The only single speaker that does it all!
What's yours

As ever, there must be qualifications. For example, for certain program material, my uFonken's with Fostex 127's are the bee's knees, but the pair I listen to most, day in/day out, are BOFU/PE dome tweeter Half Changs.

Veravox 5 is excellent in the midrange but not perfect on top. A 5"er that beats it by far in this respect (but is not as good in sensitivity and freedom of compression) is the Ciare HX135. I built ceiling firing slim columns for my sister, which is not ideal, sufficient bass only if you place it close to the wall and treble not ideal since 60° of axis would be needed. I am quite sure that pyramidal shaped enclosures in a close-to-floor position with up-firing drivers would be ideal.

What's a bamboo ken?

"ken" as in hyphenated suffix for a family of enclosures based on Dave's original mini-onken. I glibly nicknamed the version with Fostex FE127 as "Fonken" and the Mark Audio drivers logically became "Mar-Ken" followed by the driver model number. It didn't take long for things to get more than a bit confusing, especially considering the dozens of iterations that never made it past the drawing stage.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...-style-box-nomenclature-what-those-names.html

the original (bleached) Bamboo Fonken:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I couldn't find a photo of current Bamboo "Mar-Ken" for Mark Audio

Last edited:
my "all time" best speaker !!! Supravox 215 s TQWT with fountek CD3 and critical Q-Sub

FAN-TAS-TIC MUSIC !!!

Attachments

• tqwt.JPG
    tqwt.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 486
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I couldn't find a photo of current Bamboo "Mar-Ken" for Mark Audio

No pictures exist. They really need the copper Alpair7. The upcoming Alpair 7 shortage has me holding the (well matched) pair originally set aside for these for a future client.

Chris will be getting a single for his dMar-Ken7 Centre which we can use for a photo shoot, I REALLY like the look, and if i had to live with just one set of speakers*, this would be the one.

*(Fortunately i don't, Fonken & uFonken would be runner's up, all of coutse with eN drivers)

Here is the (poor) teaser of the bamboo (the only set of uFonkenSE in existence -- still gotta do the drivers for these).

212636d1299286402-sachiko-vs-chang-ufonkense-comp.jpg

jrn: uFonken have FF85 in them, FE127 would be in FonkenPrime (or variation) or in mFonken)

dave

Okay, my current favorite is the Feastrex D5nf in the BVR enclosure:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

second is the Fostex F120a which are currently in a 10-litre ported enclosure:

Regards, KM

Whilst it's on topic, I'll nominate the CHR-Ken's as my favourite speaker!

They really are astonishing - if the Alpair 7 Mar-Ken's are similar but better, I can easily believe they'd be the best small speakers money can buy.

I have in my posession, plans for a speaker that is believed by some, to be able to topple the CHR-Kens from their pedestal.

Reading your statement regarding the Alpair 7 Mar-Ken as the best small speaker money can buy, you may well be correct, as the "Hi-Tweek Black Box Nearfield Monitors" are not for sale.
:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.