Alpair or Jordan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The old Alpair 10 you have Martin is not anything like the A10.2.

The latest pair of JX92 we have here now is the best set of the 3 we've gotten. Personally i prefer the CHR70.2eN to the Jordan, and no contest vrs A7 or A10.2 (stock or not) IMHO.

Anyone who wants is welcome to come up and make their own judgements.

dave

Dave,

You are right, I have the original Alpair 10 drivers. I have not heard any of the new Alpair line. My opinion was based on my experiences over the past couple of years with two competing driver I have in my collection. It is my opinion based on my system (solid state), my room, and my music selections. Nothing more.

Martin

I have implemented several mini-monitor (sealed and vented boxes) and MLTL designs with the Jordan JX92S over the past 7-8 years. Also I've designed MLTLs with both the Alpair 6 and 10 drivers. I expect to work with the Alpair 10.2 in the very near future. Others have duplicated my designs as related in several message threads here on DIYAudio. Hence, a lot of experience with these drivers.

In my opinion the Jordan JX92S and Alpair 10 drivers perform very comparable to each other. You would be pleased with either one. The difference is that Mark Fenlon has been making significantly improvements as he has iterated his driver designs in recent years. He is separating (and improving) the Alpair designs from his past work with Jordan. The newer Mark Audio drivers will out perform the Jordans at significantly lower cost.

I still have several of my Jordan and Mark Audio prototypes if you are interested in hearing how they sound.

Jim

Jordan JX92s > Alpair 6 first gen. I hate largish (>5") metal cones; I don't like metal cone breakup sound. Both are very good in not having the metal breakup offensive sound. The A6 may have more apparent resolution but at the expnense of bass- so no go by itself. Having said the above the JX92s is amazingly balanced but there is some haziness/hash in the upper mids and treble (tweeter would help). I've never tried to high pass the Jordan which should clean it up a bit; some simply run it sealed, which reportedly creates a nice 2nd order rolloff at around 150Hz or so, perfect for a sub to be rolled in.

I have only heard the old jx92 once, at a show a long time ago in some fugly speaker cabs..funnily enough the jordans are the cheaper option here in the uk.

edit- if i have some spare lolly this yr i will buy a pair and try the above tweak and compare with the A10s

Last edited:
I wondered if the jx92s could be tweaked to overcome the HF harshness, maybe with a phase plug or even gluing a shaped piece of foam to the centre cap

Listening off axis helps; angle speakers so they cross in front of your face. I believe there is some BSC or other type of notch filters on the ej jordan site and or from Prof. Griffin. Also, I've run them in a huge backloaded horn (intended for 8" full range) and got a lot of midbass which balanced out the sound, actually was a bit too bass heavy.

That hash/hazy top end is not really harsh, but "flattens" the sound- like ill defined top end that is sputtering/uneven which affects the spatial cues in the music. The JX92s is closer to 5", so the it must be breaking up in the treble, so what we are listening to is the breakup, albeit in non-offensive, non burning of the ears. Just try listening to progressively smaller drivers and you'll notice how much more resolute the top end is.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
..funnily enough the jordans are the cheaper option here in the uk.

$220 pr for A10.2 vrs $180 each for the JX92 here. $340 a pair for matched A10.2eN. A set of CHR70.2eN @ $125/matched pr will out do the JX92 (mine (and other locals) opinion and an independent review)

edit- if i have some spare lolly this yr i will buy a pair and try the above tweak and compare with the A10s

The tweak that is known to work is full EnABL, get your kit from Ed and start practising.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.