Alpair or Jordan - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2011, 08:46 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

I shd have said breakup rather than harshness- hence why I thought maybe a shaped sponge phase plug might help if glued onto the '92.

ultrakaz I'm a big fan of the smaller 60mm jordan driver, will give the larger new A10s a try and see how they compare at the top end, shd be interesting.

Last edited by Bill poster; 17th March 2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 17th March 2011, 09:06 PM   #22
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
I will give the larger new A10
Not much bigger. The Sd (for T/S calculation) of JX92 is 85 cm^2, A10 is 89 cm^2

dave
Old 17th March 2011, 10:10 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Not much bigger. The Sd (for T/S calculation) of JX92 is 85 cm^2, A10 is 89 cm^2

dave
what i meant was the smaller jordan, jx6hd or whatever its called
Old 17th March 2011, 10:12 PM   #24
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:

yes, apples to apples ....
Old 17th March 2011, 11:04 PM   #25
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I can never remember the suffice either. Like to hear that one. Probably comarable size wise to Alpair5.

dave
Old 18th March 2011, 02:10 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I shd have said breakup rather than harshness- hence why I thought maybe a shaped sponge phase plug might help if glued onto the '92.

ultrakaz I'm a big fan of the smaller 60mm jordan driver, will give the larger new A10s a try and see how they compare at the top end, shd be interesting.
The 60mm Jordan has to be better than the A10 at the top end or the Jordan is broken. The A10 not matter how well designed cannot defeat the laws of acoustic physics. And it may well be "better" in some ways than the JX92s (I don't know), but looking at the frequency response graph it trades off a rising top end for improved off axis response. You will still be listening to cone breakup massaged and disguised by clever design. It is too big to give resolution of music at the top end, not just extension as seen on a graph via test tones. Alas, there is no free lunch. Why not simply seal the Jordan 6 and roll in the JX92s at the -12db point?
Old 19th March 2011, 01:17 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrakaz View Post
The 60mm Jordan has to be better than the A10 at the top end or the Jordan is broken. The A10 not matter how well designed cannot defeat the laws of acoustic physics. And it may well be "better" in some ways than the JX92s (I don't know), but looking at the frequency response graph it trades off a rising top end for improved off axis response. You will still be listening to cone breakup massaged and disguised by clever design. It is too big to give resolution of music at the top end, not just extension as seen on a graph via test tones. Alas, there is no free lunch. Why not simply seal the Jordan 6 and roll in the JX92s at the -12db point?
Its all a trade-off at the HF's
the jxr6 is a gem of a driver but needs a simple crossover, the bigger A10 needs no crossover which must help.

edit: saw this design using the first gen A10..is the colour a 'special' and are the specs correct? http://www.eng.sup-audio.com/html/full_range.html

Last edited by Bill poster; 19th March 2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 19th March 2011, 01:42 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

That's a Gen.1 unit.

Gold colour was a standard finish. Can't see any specs. on that site to check I'm afraid, other than impedance, sensitivity & max powerhandling, all of which are to be found on the manufacturer data sheet.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 19th March 2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 19th March 2011, 11:51 PM   #29
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
edit: saw this design using the first gen A10..is the colour a 'special' and are the specs correct?
Except for the bit about it being a BR, the specs are in line with A10.1 data. The tall-slim shape and )looks like) port out the back bottom are going to make this an ML-TL

dave
Old 19th March 2011, 11:57 PM   #30
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Gold colour was a standard finish.
I had a set of gold A6 thru here. It is a very nice colour.

Click the image to open in full size.

The current "gold" is really copper, and derived, i believe, from an effort to make CHR that matched the colour of the phase plug in the SDX7. I rather like it.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!