Alpair or Jordan - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2011, 12:35 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

For Alpair 10.2 info check out the Mark Audio listing on this site:

Alpair 10 Gen. 2 introduction

The second message has the specs.

Jim
Old 16th March 2011, 01:20 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Question about the new alpair 10 - I am guessing that the breakup is v controlled like the previous model.
would it benefit from adding a ribbon tweeter? And if so, which one?
Old 16th March 2011, 04:58 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The new Alpair 10.2 has much better controlled resonance structur. A ribbon would probably ruin the coherance and is not needed in terms of extension.

dave
Old 16th March 2011, 05:46 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

So the 10.2's treble has enough 'air' ? If so that's the holy grail found.

edit: and it makes my build very much cheaper

Last edited by Bill poster; 16th March 2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 17th March 2011, 07:04 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Jordan JX92s > Alpair 6 first gen. I hate largish (>5") metal cones; I don't like metal cone breakup sound. Both are very good in not having the metal breakup offensive sound. The A6 may have more apparent resolution but at the expnense of bass- so no go by itself. Having said the above the JX92s is amazingly balanced but there is some haziness/hash in the upper mids and treble (tweeter would help). I've never tried to high pass the Jordan which should clean it up a bit; some simply run it sealed, which reportedly creates a nice 2nd order rolloff at around 150Hz or so, perfect for a sub to be rolled in.
Old 17th March 2011, 06:49 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I wondered if the jx92s could be tweaked to overcome the HF harshness, maybe with a phase plug or even gluing a shaped piece of foam to the centre cap

Last edited by Bill poster; 17th March 2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 17th March 2011, 07:25 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

It can. But when it is so much pricier than Alpair10 i don't see the point. And the A10 can also be improved by at least as much. MArk has taken the tech way further than Jordan.

dave
Old 17th March 2011, 07:34 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I have only heard the old jx92 once, at a show a long time ago in some fugly speaker cabs..funnily enough the jordans are the cheaper option here in the uk.

edit- if i have some spare lolly this yr i will buy a pair and try the above tweak and compare with the A10s

Last edited by Bill poster; 17th March 2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 17th March 2011, 07:37 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
I wondered if the jx92s could be tweaked to overcome the HF harshness, maybe with a phase plug or even gluing a shaped piece of foam to the centre cap
Listening off axis helps; angle speakers so they cross in front of your face. I believe there is some BSC or other type of notch filters on the ej jordan site and or from Prof. Griffin. Also, I've run them in a huge backloaded horn (intended for 8" full range) and got a lot of midbass which balanced out the sound, actually was a bit too bass heavy.

That hash/hazy top end is not really harsh, but "flattens" the sound- like ill defined top end that is sputtering/uneven which affects the spatial cues in the music. The JX92s is closer to 5", so the it must be breaking up in the treble, so what we are listening to is the breakup, albeit in non-offensive, non burning of the ears. Just try listening to progressively smaller drivers and you'll notice how much more resolute the top end is.
Old 17th March 2011, 07:42 PM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
..funnily enough the jordans are the cheaper option here in the uk.
$220 pr for A10.2 vrs $180 each for the JX92 here. $340 a pair for matched A10.2eN. A set of CHR70.2eN @ $125/matched pr will out do the JX92 (mine (and other locals) opinion and an independent review)

Quote:
edit- if i have some spare lolly this yr i will buy a pair and try the above tweak and compare with the A10s
The tweak that is known to work is full EnABL, get your kit from Ed and start practising.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!