MJK favorite driver for 18" Hframe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have you found a favorite driver to top the H frame goldwood?

For a passive set-up, I used the Jordan JX92S and the Fostex F120A. The Jordan was the driver I liked the most by a wide margin. I found that a SS amp worked much better then a tube amp with the low 2nd order crossover frequency, the tube amp could not drive the bass adequately (I think this is a common problem with my style of dipole speaker designs).

For an active set-up, I have tried the JX92S and F120A again as well as three Fostex FE-126E's (old version stock, planet10 cone treatment, and planet10 Enabled) and the FF125K. Of these my favorites are the JX92S and the stock FE-126E. The JX92S is smoother and an easy listen while the stock FE-126E is more aggressive with the hyper detailed type of sound. They are different and I like them for that reason depending on my mood. I never could get the F120A to perform well and would not recommend it. The treated FE-126E drivers sounded bland compared to the stock driver, just did not move me at all. The FF125K was nice and a little more polite compared to the stock FE-126E, closer to the JX92S. I would like to try the new FE-126En to compare to the older version as well as the FX120 and the FE-108ESigma when time and funds permit.

Right now tonight and all this week, I am listening to the stock FE-126E old version using my active crossover and SS amps.

Martin

>>> I never could get the F120A to perform well...

Money can't buy happiness. I gave up on 'expensive' drivers years ago tho i do treat myself from time to time. I no longer drool over them no matter how wonderful a review. Thanks Martin for your subjective opinions on those drivers.

I've had very good results with two different 15" woofers on open baffle. The Alpha 15 and Jamo buyout. I've spoken to people who love the Goldwood 18" driver too. Based on what PE offers, i'd consider stacking two Goldwood's before buying a more expensive 18"... i'd even consider stacking two 15" over one 18"... There are other drivers but none i am familiar with.

Zilla

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.