Front Loaded Corner Horn Designs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I'm looking for a front loaded (to keep prying little hands out) corner loaded (to keep the wife happy) designs for consideration. Besides the Lowther TP1 Isis (which I realize isn't corner loaded, but it qualifies as it sits squarely in a corner) and Lowther Opus One, what options are out there?

Preference for something that is relatively proven and the existence of a nice set of plans with a cut list is a definite bonus.

Thanks!

I asume that you do not want to build a only front loaded horn but one that comprise of two horns the short front horn and the longer backloaded horn? If you are hellbent on having the same driver read no further! But having two horns will give acoustic crossover and spatial separation regardless if you drive them by one or two drivers. I would go for a Klipsh horn and then perhaps frontloaded horns on top. Why not start with La Scalas (LinnarAudio Simulerningar) works best with a cheap high Q diver! Then a big front horn for a fullrange driver on top of that and a crossover in the 200-300 Hz range. The concept have been used many times before at least with the Klipsch corner horn.

A good sounding efficient corner speaker that falls under the multi-driver type
is the Seven Pi from Pi Speakers. The Seven Pi has good directionality down into the bass frequencies.

Pi Speakers - unmatched quality and state-of-the-art performance

Wayne Parham the designer and owner of Pi Speakers is very accessible and will answer any questions you may have on his forum.

Good luck with your search

Hi!

I'm looking for a front loaded (to keep prying little hands out) corner loaded (to keep the wife happy) designs for consideration. Besides the Lowther TP1 Isis (which I realize isn't corner loaded, but it qualifies as it sits squarely in a corner) and Lowther Opus One, what options are out there?

Preference for something that is relatively proven and the existence of a nice set of plans with a cut list is a definite bonus.

Thanks!

Last year I built a set of Decware Corner Horns.
DECWARE CORNER HORNS
They are rear loaded, must sit in a corner and are just amazingly good speakers. They also are a real conversation piece in both unique looks and incredibly clean sound. My audiophile friends go a little slack jawed when I put on some roadhouse music and the kick drums and bass guitars penetrate their souls. They try to put their heads into the horn to see how all that music is coming from the little 6 inch wizzer cone speakers (Fostex 166ENs). So far, every person to come over and listen to them has volunteered that they are the best speakers that they have ever heard.
They are cheap to build, $150 for the Fostex and $150 for the MDF boards. They are also a bear to build and really heavy.
If you want a speaker with BIG sound and amazing dynamic range, you may want to consider these.
If you buy a set of sort of adequate plans from Steve and promise to build them, I'll CNC a template for you and ship it as a present. It will knock about 20 hours off the build time for each speaker.

I wrote a review a while back and have photos in the single driver photo section.

Dennis

Hi!

I'm listening to a pair of Lowther EX4s (although the PM2Cs are quite good . . . ) in 150Hz front horns of the same sort of dimensions as the current TP1 Imperator design on top of Acoustas facing into the corner for below 150 Hz. The setup is astounding, certainly for classical music and jazz. Lack of compression, dynamics, detail . . .

I'm looking after a pair of Mangers for a friend at the other end of the room - impeccable - but it's the Lowthers that I love listening to . . .

Front horns make a lot of difference for a sensation of music that is performed rather than merely reproduced.

Best wishes

David P

TP1, Opus

Hello,
i have heard the TP1 and was disappointed, the Opus exist
in a few variations, from both i never find a measurement and an impedanz plot,
why not?
Listen to it before building!

I prefer a 2 way variation, a satellite horn over 100 Hz and a corner bass Horn.
My solution would be my corner horn and sats like my
HORN, TRUMPET, SCHALMEI

Attachments

• baufoto9eckh..jpg
    baufoto9eckh..jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,149
  • eckhorn o. Deckel,horn-sat.jpg
    eckhorn o. Deckel,horn-sat.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,133
The TP1 top horn by itself is brilliant over 100 Hz

Of the TP1 itself, like you I'm not convinced by the bass horn design so something else may be better below 100Hz

Best wishes

David P

Hi David - I am planning to build the TP1 front horns myself to go with Lowther DX3s. Are these horns open at the back or have you designed some sort of rear chamber. I would appreciate it if you can post some pictures and details of the dimensions of the front horns.

Hi David - I am planning to build the TP1 front horns myself to go with Lowther DX3s. Are these horns open at the back or have you designed some sort of rear chamber. I would appreciate it if you can post some pictures and details of the dimensions of the front horns.

Hi!

Open at the back but whilst DX units give interesting open space, the closed in EX units give more accuracy. So you might make a muffle box of some sort behind your horns to absorb the backwave

Best wishes

David P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.