Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2011, 06:49 PM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have found that the more effort i put into making the inevitable resonances inaudiable (ie higher in frequency, higher in Q) the more the box dissapears.

I too can see how a finish that crates even a very shallow stiffer layer on the surface of a panel could help achieve higher F, higher Q. Effect would be small and more likely (accidentily) pushing an audible resonace up just enuff to move the resonance out of the well-tempered scale. At this point i just brute force things.

dave
Old 9th March 2011, 06:59 PM   #12
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
At this point i just brute force things.

dave
Yep- a mantra to live by. Very few experienced builders bother getting finnicky with the little stuff, recognizing that there are known big issues that need addressing in most any loudspeaker system.
Old 9th March 2011, 07:05 PM   #13
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post

I play saxophone. Many players believe the lacquer on a sax affects its sound. It does not. However, re-lacquered horns are suspect for good reason. The process requires buffing. Buffing enough to remove normal scratches can affect the sound. I know from experience. I told the @#$%^& guy not to buff the scratches out. A perfectly good vintage Selmer SBA tenor came back from the shop thin as an eggshell and ringing like a bell. I sort of got off track, didn't I?

yikes! attasa cuminago (fans of Craig will get that)
Old 9th March 2011, 09:26 PM   #14
hebrer is offline hebrer  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

I imagine practical considerations prevail when one builds dozens of speakers and knows what the big issues are (and cabinet finish is not one of them). But for a hobbyist with one or two pairs of speakers at home, I guess it is not surprising that also enclosure varnish gets some attention after room acoustics, cone treatment, capacitors, speaker cables, etc., have all been addressed already.

Quote:
planet10: "I have found that the more effort i put into making the inevitable resonances inaudiable (ie higher in frequency, higher in Q) the more the box dissapears."
Thank you Dave for this info. In fact, I started looking into the varnish issue because the sounds "sticks" to the driver and BLH do not disappear enough... But I guess I am trying to achieve the impossible - find a cure for a lack of breathing space for the speakers... and it is not happening.
Old 10th March 2011, 02:12 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebrer View Post
How about selective placement of enabl patterns on speaker panels?
Yes you should try this.
I have been doing this with ports, vents, horn mouths, baffles, cabinet edges and internal cabinet walls for a number of years now. Using duct tape or self-adhesive vinyl or similar will address some of the issues you have with your BLH. Happy to help if you need it.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 10th March 2011, 05:41 AM   #16
DrBoar is offline DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The SL600 loudspeaker by Celestion (UK) utilized a cabinet with Aerolam, an aluminum honeycomb construction. High frequency resonance and low mass for low energy storage, really oposite philosophy of Wilson Audio speakers that use a lot of mass to reduce vibration. Boxes of chipboard/MDF/plyood with braces and then lined with ceramic tiles and cheap floor carpet is really inert and way cheaper than oak plywood and the like

Hide this!Advertise here!