GRS 15" on open baffle - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2011, 04:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default GRS 15" on open baffle

Could the 15" GRS from PE be a option on open baffle? I think it might be a good choice. I have not heard it but hears why...

GRS 15PF-8 15" Paper Cone Foam Surround Woofer

The qts is about right, the fs is 29hz and it's 8 ohm. At first the spl of 87db looks lower than the more typically used Alpha 15 but since i have been using subwoofer amps to power these woofers in my open baffle projects i see less of a reason to have such high efficiency. Plus having one driver per side shows the sub amp a 4ohm load drawing maximum power from the amp.

My son's open baffle project uses a 15" Jamo woofer (with similar specs to the GRS) that was a buyout from PE. It looks similar to the GRS. I wish I bought a few more of the Jamo... i bought three. I think they cost $25 each and were well worth it. The GRS come in at $27.50. Using a plate amp allows you to raise the volume and find the right crossover.

I just wanted to point out the driver as a potential option for anyone thinking open baffle on a low budget.

Zilla
Old 7th March 2011, 10:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default hmmm...

I went with the alpha and an fe103e.

However, the lower spl of this 15in might make it a better match for the less efficient lines of speakers. Something like a 3in from TB might make a nice match.
Old 7th March 2011, 10:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Just a little feed on the GRS speakers do not believe there figures.
The SPL is 1.2db less then stated on the 12" paper drivers and the Fs was at least 4db down bass response is none existent on the 12's. For the price they are good, for an OB dont think they will work well.
Old 7th March 2011, 11:15 PM   #4
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

I recently acquired a pair of Deltalite 2515s. They kick ***! Superb definition and deep bass.

That said, if I was building my first OBs, I would definitely start with a pair of the GRS or Jamo 15 inchers.

At that price, you can build a line array with four of them and a full range driver.... that would be quite spectacular.
Old 8th March 2011, 12:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'd imagine the Eminence is great! The GRS would be for budget systems and not the last word in performance... but it might grunt low enough to satisfy even if not to spec. Not sure. I have the GRS full ranger and their 8" and 6" to fill holes in existing empty boxes i'd like to sell in a garage sale. I hope they perform adequately. These drivers suite a need in the market but not the audiophile market. The look good and are inexpensive so non audiophiles might really appreciate them for what they provide.
Old 8th March 2011, 06:34 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have 4 GRS 15s on OB with a TB W41337 and Dayton NDFA6
they work very well, I love them. Needed some EQ though.
Well worth the price I have 6 of them I wouldn't mind trying to stuff them all in.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th March 2011, 10:43 AM   #7
Bluto is offline Bluto  United States
diyAudio Member

THORNSPAWN-

Is that 10 emptys I'm counting there? My system sounds better with just 4.

Just kiddin Guy.

They look good.
Old 8th March 2011, 02:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thorn, that's just what i was thinking but with one per side... two is better im sure. Neat! Also, i looked at the link at the bottom of your post and see you do CNC work... but in au?
Old 8th March 2011, 07:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes we have a 1400x3600 Multicam CNC I'm soon to be producing Frugal Horn kits on it, among other things.
Old 8th March 2011, 11:07 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Here's my son's project using the PE buyout 15" woofers on OB along with the Pioneer B20 (also no longer available) and the inexpensive piezo + little Dayton waveguide. The B20 and piezo are powered by a T-amp tucked away in his desk drawer. A cable pops out to connect to his laptop (he usually streams from Grooveshark). The woofers are powered by a Dayton sub amp rated at 100 watts (i think). After wiring it all up we spent about an hour fine tuning the woofers along with the placement of the speakers for best sound. He LOVES the setup! I still get hugs on occasion after his friends leave (he's 13). He tells me the sound is "so good dad."

The sound is pretty darn good. The best part is the bass. It's HUGE. The combination of 15" woofers with a high qts plus a sub amp really allows for tailoring the type of bass you like. The B20 pumps out sound and the tweeter, while not the best... it's spitty for sure and sibilant too... somehow manages to work really well playing classic rock like Queen, Boston and the Cars as well as the new stuff by Lady Gaga and whatever else plays on Z100 FM here in New York.

Just wanted to share. For cheap it reaped many fatherly rewards.

Zilla
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeremy-Desk.jpg (66.2 KB, 530 views)
File Type: jpg Jeremy-ob1.jpg (48.5 KB, 518 views)
File Type: jpg Jeremy-OB2.jpg (46.9 KB, 519 views)
File Type: jpg Jeremy-Raw.jpg (76.7 KB, 506 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!