GRS 15" on open baffle - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2011, 11:49 PM   #11
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Nice Zilla, they look great.

Martin
Old 9th March 2011, 12:15 AM   #12
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

How cool is that for a kid having a Dad get involved and set him up with a diy set of speakers like that!! I only got the usual, "turn that #@*& down!" lol

Way to go Zilla (Jeff)!!
Old 9th March 2011, 12:18 AM   #13
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

They look great Zilla! It must be a great feeling to be able to enjoy this hobby with your son.
Old 9th March 2011, 12:25 AM   #14
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORNSPAWN View Post
I have 4 GRS 15s on OB with a TB W41337 and Dayton NDFA6
they work very well, I love them. Needed some EQ though.
Well worth the price I have 6 of them I wouldn't mind trying to stuff them all in.
Click the image to open in full size.
ease on them sodas THORNSPAWN, you have shaky hand
otherwise nice speaker, congrats
Old 9th March 2011, 01:39 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks all! Yup, i have two boys and over the last holiday they asked me to build a pair of speakers for their rooms. I will post the other speaker after taking a few pics. They are much smaller but it was a fun project too. What me and Thorn have done is take inexpensive, but large woofers and simply use them on open baffle speakers. Thanks to MJKs work an entire selection of cheaper woofers can be explored and these really great sounding OB projects can be built. They image really well, the room fills with sound effortlessly. It's not the most impressively smooth, silky sound we love but it's rich and full and makes no excuses for what it is... or how inexpensive and easy it was to build a pair.

Right now i am listening to sealed Beta 12lta's on top of H-frames and love the sound but can't help but feel like i am just listening to not much more than a pro sound speaker... it sounds fantastic but to make it more 'home friendly' i have been playing with Xbaffle to find out how small a baffle i can mount the Beta 12lta and mate it with the H-frames... I want the overall look to be less bulky. So far the sims look pretty good and i should settle on dims later in the week before cutting up wood.

If all works out and i like the sound of the Beta 12lta on open baffle i may build another project similar to my son's even tho the overall bass performance is somewhat better with the H-frames.

Zilla

Hide this!Advertise here!