GRS 15" on open baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could the 15" GRS from PE be a option on open baffle? I think it might be a good choice. I have not heard it but hears why...

GRS 15PF-8 15" Paper Cone Foam Surround Woofer

The qts is about right, the fs is 29hz and it's 8 ohm. At first the spl of 87db looks lower than the more typically used Alpha 15 but since i have been using subwoofer amps to power these woofers in my open baffle projects i see less of a reason to have such high efficiency. Plus having one driver per side shows the sub amp a 4ohm load drawing maximum power from the amp.

My son's open baffle project uses a 15" Jamo woofer (with similar specs to the GRS) that was a buyout from PE. It looks similar to the GRS. I wish I bought a few more of the Jamo... i bought three. I think they cost $25 each and were well worth it. The GRS come in at $27.50. Using a plate amp allows you to raise the volume and find the right crossover.

I just wanted to point out the driver as a potential option for anyone thinking open baffle on a low budget.

Zilla

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I recently acquired a pair of Deltalite 2515s. They kick ***! Superb definition and deep bass.

That said, if I was building my first OBs, I would definitely start with a pair of the GRS or Jamo 15 inchers.

At that price, you can build a line array with four of them and a full range driver.... that would be quite spectacular.

I'd imagine the Eminence is great! The GRS would be for budget systems and not the last word in performance... but it might grunt low enough to satisfy even if not to spec. Not sure. I have the GRS full ranger and their 8" and 6" to fill holes in existing empty boxes i'd like to sell in a garage sale. I hope they perform adequately. These drivers suite a need in the market but not the audiophile market. The look good and are inexpensive so non audiophiles might really appreciate them for what they provide.

I have 4 GRS 15s on OB with a TB W41337 and Dayton NDFA6
they work very well, I love them. Needed some EQ though.
Well worth the price I have 6 of them I wouldn't mind trying to stuff them all in.
IMGP2185.jpg

Here's my son's project using the PE buyout 15" woofers on OB along with the Pioneer B20 (also no longer available) and the inexpensive piezo + little Dayton waveguide. The B20 and piezo are powered by a T-amp tucked away in his desk drawer. A cable pops out to connect to his laptop (he usually streams from Grooveshark). The woofers are powered by a Dayton sub amp rated at 100 watts (i think). After wiring it all up we spent about an hour fine tuning the woofers along with the placement of the speakers for best sound. He LOVES the setup! I still get hugs on occasion after his friends leave (he's 13). He tells me the sound is "so good dad."

The sound is pretty darn good. The best part is the bass. It's HUGE. The combination of 15" woofers with a high qts plus a sub amp really allows for tailoring the type of bass you like. The B20 pumps out sound and the tweeter, while not the best... it's spitty for sure and sibilant too... somehow manages to work really well playing classic rock like Queen, Boston and the Cars as well as the new stuff by Lady Gaga and whatever else plays on Z100 FM here in New York.

Just wanted to share. For cheap it reaped many fatherly rewards.

Zilla

Attachments

• Jeremy-Desk.jpg
    Jeremy-Desk.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,322
  • Jeremy-ob1.jpg
    Jeremy-ob1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,275
  • Jeremy-OB2.jpg
    Jeremy-OB2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,271
  • Jeremy-Raw.jpg
    Jeremy-Raw.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,256
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have 4 GRS 15s on OB with a TB W41337 and Dayton NDFA6
they work very well, I love them. Needed some EQ though.
Well worth the price I have 6 of them I wouldn't mind trying to stuff them all in.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

ease on them sodas THORNSPAWN, you have shaky hand
otherwise nice speaker, congrats

Thanks all! Yup, i have two boys and over the last holiday they asked me to build a pair of speakers for their rooms. I will post the other speaker after taking a few pics. They are much smaller but it was a fun project too. What me and Thorn have done is take inexpensive, but large woofers and simply use them on open baffle speakers. Thanks to MJKs work an entire selection of cheaper woofers can be explored and these really great sounding OB projects can be built. They image really well, the room fills with sound effortlessly. It's not the most impressively smooth, silky sound we love but it's rich and full and makes no excuses for what it is... or how inexpensive and easy it was to build a pair.

Right now i am listening to sealed Beta 12lta's on top of H-frames and love the sound but can't help but feel like i am just listening to not much more than a pro sound speaker... it sounds fantastic but to make it more 'home friendly' i have been playing with Xbaffle to find out how small a baffle i can mount the Beta 12lta and mate it with the H-frames... I want the overall look to be less bulky. So far the sims look pretty good and i should settle on dims later in the week before cutting up wood.

If all works out and i like the sound of the Beta 12lta on open baffle i may build another project similar to my son's even tho the overall bass performance is somewhat better with the H-frames.

Zilla

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.