SEAS FA22RCZ vs. Fostex FE206En - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2011, 05:00 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Got mine today. 1st impression: packaging is unimpressive. Some of these are probably going to get damaged inside the packing box.
I believe that every SEAS Prestige driver Ive bought have been delivered in the same kind of packaging that the FA22RCZ arrived in. Not great, but does the job. Thats if there is no loose objects in the same box, that could be hazardous.
Old 8th April 2011, 05:09 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplymortified View Post
Has anyone built an Aperiodic box? I am think of modding the sealed boxes with some home made 'variovents'.
Ive built the recommended enclosure for the SEAS Exotic (as Ive also have this driver), but the volume is the same 60 liter. Im thinking about building some new and wider cabinets. Ill probably also make it aperiodic, so any input on this will be much appreciated.
Old 8th April 2011, 05:37 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I bough 10.000 nth of SEAS drivers over the last 30 years and rarely had a broken one, so yes, the packaging is average but adaquate. I have shown a way to tame the treble by coating the wizzer and also did a rather big transmission line - reflex cabinet that works the bass quite well. The parameters allow it. a closed box may be simple but does not bring the best out in this rather low Qts, high Vas driver.
Old 8th April 2011, 06:01 PM   #24
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
I bough 10.000 nth of SEAS drivers over the last 30 years and rarely had a broken one, so yes, the packaging is average but adaquate.
Over here the major carriers ( FEDEX/UPS/USPS/ etc) seem to have an ongoing contest to ignore shipping labels and continually refine ingenious methods and extents to which visible and concealed damage can be incurred to even very well packed goods.

The collective creativity is consistently amazing.

Quote:

I have shown a way to tame the treble by coating the wizzer and also did a rather big transmission line - reflex cabinet that works the bass quite well. The parameters allow it. a closed box may be simple but does not bring the best out in this rather low Qts, high Vas driver.
What approx volume / tuning / damping scheme did you find most effective?
Old 8th April 2011, 06:13 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

The box is 40.5 cm wide, 29 cm deep and 120 cm high. Some 100 liters internal volume with aprox. 20mm strong sidewalls from chipboard and 20mm spruce front and back baffle. Internally are some stiffening and difusing boards that are not critical. The reflex tube is 10cm diameter and max. 28cm long, the end cut 45 to split the tramission resonance somewhat. The tube shows to the top that i found out is not optimal. I will move the tube to near the floor. The wizzer has one coat of liqiud polymer that made the treble response better from pus-minus 5dB to plus minus 2dB. I stuffed the box slightly with polyfill and use an LCR trap to get the midrange down.
Old 8th April 2011, 06:18 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Here is the result with and without the LCR trap. Forget the mesaurement under 200Hz.
It is a freefield response with windowing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf One Way FRD-2 SEAS.pdf (30.5 KB, 561 views)
Old 8th April 2011, 06:42 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Here is the result with and without the LCR trap.
Are both measurements done after coating?

From an earlier post I see you posted that you used the values "8.8 Ohm, 0.77mH and 3.2uF" for the trap, still the same values?

Im currently using 3.9 Ohm, 0,56 mH and 4.7 uF. Will your values make the trap wider?
Old 8th April 2011, 06:47 PM   #28
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Which color = without LRC trap?
Old 8th April 2011, 07:34 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

The green one is without the trap. The measurement is with coating. Without the response is very ragged and the sound is rather agressive and very dependant on angle. The trap is optimised for the baffle width and the position of the driver that i offset somewhat from the midlle aproximately at 3 to 5 or use the golden cut. My trap may not work on another baffle so i can not answer that question. There is a programm called "Edge" where you can simulate how the position and dimension of the baffle affects the driver response.
Old 8th April 2011, 09:17 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Please explain how you coat the wizzer?

I use a Zobel today but best will off coarse be without

(i live only 10 min from the Seas factory and know some people there via my job, i have already discussed with them about cutting out the dustcap in order to make a phase plug)

Hide this!Advertise here!