absorbent material ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I'm in the process of final sanding/finish work on a pair of Fostex FE206e BLH cabinets. I know about most of the home brew upgrades.

My question is would 1/2 to 3/4 eggcrate foam serve as "absorbent material" for the compression chamber?

BTW I am planing to build the Sachico horns next. The Fostex horns sound better than anything else I have listened to-I have no NEED for reams of graph paper to make me like them.

Thanks all.

Eggcrate foam IME causes too much damping if located near a driver, and it is likely to sap the subjective dynamics. It may sound good if the speaker is only to be played very loudly.

Carpet pad is a better choice for a fullrange driver IMO.

YYMV of course, and it's possible it might work in some situations. Experiment and see for yourself.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I was lucky enough to find some wool felt for my project and it worked well. You could also get some 1/2" or so acoustic fiberglass ceiling panel material. Cheap and effective. Use yellow carpenters glue to fix it inside your cabinets. Start with the back, front and one side. If you need more you can add some pillow batting through the driver cut outs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.