Mahagoni iPod Speaker Dock with CHR-70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I did it again.

I just want to share my latest speaker dock project with you guys. This time I tried the Markaudio CHR-70 together with a TA2020 amp. I did not use a bass port for this one. Each speaker is in a rubber sealed 4 litre chamber. Mahagoni veneer is really tough to handle!!! I am not 100% satisfied with the outcome.

The speakers are not run in yet. Just played them for 30 hours. I am satisfied with the sound and curious how it will develope over the next days.

Some pics:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and a clip:

YouTube - [DIY] Retro Style iPod / iPhone Speaker Dock Mahagoni Markaudio CHR-70 + TA2020

Cheers

eladmi

Hello Eladmi,

Fantastic looking project, well done! Wish I had your wood skills.

One thought. Looking at the pics, the drivers appear to be recessed behind the front panel. Not sure how deep they are but ideally its often best to flush mount the drivers.

Maybe you recessed to get a more "Retro" look? Certainly looks good.

Hoping you'll show a build plan?

Cheers

Mark.

Attachments

• mahagoni_down_right-1024x768.jpg
    mahagoni_down_right-1024x768.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 893
Last edited:
Hello Eladmi,

Fantastic looking project, well done! Wish I had your wood skills.

One thought. Looking at the pics, the drivers appear to be recessed behind the front panel. Not sure how deep they are but ideally its often best to flush mount the drivers.

Maybe you recessed to get a more "Retro" look? Certainly looks good.

Hoping you'll show a build plan?

Cheers

Mark.

Hey Mark,

it is because of the looks. I don't know if there is a better option for mounting the speakers. I was thinking about putting them directly under the veneer. I would have to use filler then. Maybe you have a better idea? A build plan will follow next weekend. I have quite a workload right now.

Thanks

ElAdmi

Hey Mark,

it is because of the looks. I don't know if there is a better option for mounting the speakers. I was thinking about putting them directly under the veneer. I would have to use filler then. Maybe you have a better idea? A build plan will follow next weekend. I have quite a workload right now.
Thanks
ElAdmi

Hi ElAdmi
The front panel does look nice. Maybe it would still look nice if you flush mount the drivers. I've given the front of the CHR frame a "pro" look, fitting flush could make your build more easy. You would have the choice to cover the frame with veneer or leave exposed. Flush mount drivers will sound better, dispersion will be optimal.

You've made a very nice project. Watching and listening to the youtube, the project already appears to sound very promising.

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate this.There is already a pair of the Markaudio (Omnes) BB4.AL speaker laying around for my next project. I am thinking about a glossy white box. It would be difficult to paint this box with a flush mounted speaker, since I would have to mount the speaker before painting. I could mask the speaker, because I will let the paintshop be done by a professional. I don't know if this is a good idea. Perhaps you have a suggestion here.

Thanks

@ Woddy,

I use a cheap trick. Just get yourself a cheap iphone dockingstation with dock connector and 3.5 audio jack. Take that apart and mount it so that you can use Apple's universal dock adapter.

Cheers

ElAdMi

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your input. I really appreciate this.There is already a pair of the Markaudio (Omnes) BB4.AL speaker laying around for my next project. I am thinking about a glossy white box. It would be difficult to paint this box with a flush mounted speaker, since I would have to mount the speaker before painting. I could mask the speaker, because I will let the paintshop be done by a professional. I don't know if this is a good idea. Perhaps you have a suggestion here.
Cheers
ElAdMi

Hi EIAdMi,
Is there any way to mount the speakers after painting? Not sure of your build method but the mounting the drivers after painting would look very nice. I'm thinking flush mounting from the front panel, with the frame exposed. Black against white could look very nice.
Cheers
Mark.

Hi Mark

I finally managed to build a new box and followed some of your recommendations. I used your Alpair 7 and really really like the sound.The cutouts for the chassis now allow them to be flash mounted. I tried to get the box painted glossy white from a professional painter but it just wasn't the quality which I would have expected (...some waisted dollars).

You can have have a look here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...irplay-hifimediy-t2-markaudio-alpair-7-a.html

I would love to build a box with your Alpair 10 MOAP version chassis but I think it will be impossible for me to get them. I love the white color and I am sure they would sound great. The box would probably need to be a little big bigger for those.

Those ones:

234681d1312957708-alpair-10-gen-maop-prototype-tw-1-alp10-maop-tw-1.jpg

I hope you don't mind the stolen picture ;-)

Have a nice weekend

Cheers

Hi fakeout

I was thinking about a 2.1 system (I already build one actually. Sounded crappy but that was my fault. I used a TDA2030A board for that). The boombox would probably grow massivly in size. You have to know that I am listening to audio books quite a lot and think that they sound best with fullrangers.
I haven't found a suitable 2.1 amp either. Maybe you have a hint for me. I was thinking about the DDX320 2.1 (Hifimediy DDX320 2.1 digital amplifier 80W+80W @8ohm AND 100W@4ohm) but Hifimediy has technical issues with those. Class D amps have the advantadge that most of them don't get that hot.http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=64

Cheers
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=64

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.