Alpair 12 Studio Reference Monitors fired up - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2011, 01:18 AM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Looking at, and thinking of things to repurpose for the cover part of the globe, perhaps a pro-level metal strainer (similar to, but larger than the one on the goof below) or a plastic collander -- covered with stretched double knit of appropriate colour.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crazy-dave600.jpg (38.1 KB, 614 views)
Old 5th March 2011, 01:32 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

"goof "...lol
Old 9th March 2011, 03:24 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

After only a few days of playing in, I am very happy to report that these speakers have opened up a LOT! I've got my bass full and rich. These are not the same speaker of only last Friday!

I am very happy with them. I look forward to experimenting with the other planned enclosures en-route to my my Clairtone globes.

RE. the globes. There are many ways to make the hemispherical fronts and I have yet to decide what I want. Part of me wants the original "look", while part of me is willing to go with a different look altogether. I really have no idea about the acoustic impact of the original materials. I will be getting some sample materials to experiment with.
Old 15th March 2011, 10:22 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the update. I started burning in a pair of 12's last Friday. They've been playing for just over 104 hours (with adjustments as prescribed on Mark Audio's website) and sound very good near-field. I'll have the cabinets, .75 cuft from PE, later this week. Looking forward to the next phase.
Old 15th March 2011, 11:06 PM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrohlfs View Post
I'll have the cabinets, .75 cuft from PE, later this week. Looking forward to the next phase.
The rectangular or curved ones (latter better sonically)? And what are you going to implement in that volume...too small for the DBR, too big for a BR (at least any i'd build).

dave
Old 16th March 2011, 12:58 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Rectangular. The depth on the curved won't work in one of the spaces I plan on using these. I'm not to concerned about deep bass response as I use sub-woofers for bottom end support. Haven't decided if I'll port / vent the cabinets or not.

I'll be comparing them to Jordan JX92s in my kitchen dining system initially.
Old 16th March 2011, 01:06 AM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrohlfs View Post
Rectangular.
Means you can use up some of the space with added bracing.

dave
Old 16th March 2011, 02:29 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Will do.

This also keeps me from getting into spousal trouble as I'll have more time to finish the OB woofers cabinets sitting in my Living room. Adding another cabinet project onto the stack would have not been popular.
Old 16th March 2011, 04:02 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Not sure what you guys are talking about but I'm pretty sure that it's not about my loudspeakers!

Now I need to find some time to make the Onken style cabs...I just wish that I had more time!
Old 16th March 2011, 07:13 AM   #20
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Douglas, if I may be permitted an expletive - gorgeous effen work on the geetars and boats

BTW, while extolling the virtues of the Clairtone, how could you forget to brag about the company's Canuckian origin?

kids, note the post's time stamp

Hide this!Advertise here!