Want to build a BLH, help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I really want to build a Back Loaded Horn for my first DIY speaker build and am intrigued by doing it single driver style, hence the amount of time I've spent on here lately :)

My room that I'll be putting the speakers in is my living room which has hardwood floors, is open to the kitchen and dining room and stairs going upstairs and downstairs. The primary use of the system is TV/Movies but about 25% music too. Here is my current setup:

CRW_9751_RJ.jpg

I don't know if I'll replace my Mini's or implement these new speakers with the system and swap over to the new speakers for music. That'll be determined after I get them built and use them for a while. If they replace the Mini's, even cooler :)

I listen to ALL SORTS of music with really only heavy metal and classical getting virtually no play time. Its mostly jazz/rock/indie type of stuff.

I really like the looks of the factory Fostex horns and would like to build something similar to those. I can put in a full Double BLH but would like to keep it the smaller half size. I'm a pretty decent woodworker so I'm not worried about a "complicated" design. I have zero experience designing my own enclosure though so would either need help or use an already proven design.

I've been really intrigued by the Mark Audio Alpair 10.2, Alpair 12 and the Tang Band W8-1772 or 1808; I am open to other drivers though. I'm looking to stay in the $150 per driver price as the max (I can get the TB's for about that price) but don't mind spending less :D

So can you all help? If I'm leaving details of what I'm looking for out please just ask; this is a learning experience for me so ask away!

Thanks!!

Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.