Sachiko vs. Chang - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2011, 10:33 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Bamboo is a nice material for speakers. But they are not all created equal. The best (and what we are now restricting ourselves to) is the 3 layer stranded block core. Single ply bamboo flooring is probably the least effective variation.

The 10x cost differential (5x once you add in veneer cost) vrs utility grade BB restricts it to special builds.

dave
Whoah....are saying that you can make bamboo cabs from bamboo flooring?!?!?!?
Old 4th March 2011, 10:51 PM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You can. We won't. Kurt in Denmark builds his speakers out of something akin to 20mm flooring i believe.

dave
Old 4th March 2011, 11:00 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You can. We won't. Kurt in Denmark builds his speakers out of something akin to 20mm flooring i believe.

dave
you feel its better than mdf or ply, are anything else avalable at, say lowes?
Old 4th March 2011, 11:53 PM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The 3-ply stranded core certainly is. I'd actually have to do a build to compare flooring to BB -- the bamboo wouldn't need veneer. With a hot enuff fire, MDF burns nicely

Attached is a teaser. I haven't done the colour matched drivers yet. We also have a set of FonkenPrime, and dMar-Ken7 made from the same neopolitan stranded bamboo.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uFonkenSE-comp.jpg (42.8 KB, 1024 views)
Old 5th March 2011, 12:14 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The 3-ply stranded core certainly is. I'd actually have to do a build to compare flooring to BB -- the bamboo wouldn't need veneer. With a hot enuff fire, MDF burns nicely

Attached is a teaser. I haven't done the colour matched drivers yet. We also have a set of FonkenPrime, and dMar-Ken7 made from the same neopolitan stranded bamboo.

dave
purtty...for sure.

how thick is the three-ply?
Old 5th March 2011, 01:33 AM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

18mm, moving from 12 to 18mm (and the change to side arrayed slot vents) increased the size of the box from micro (2 litre net volume) to milliSize (4.7 litre net). ie 2.5+ litres more wood in the box. That, & that it is stranded bamboo, should make this box quite inert.

dave
Old 5th March 2011, 02:39 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Vertical bamboo is very strong and some purty
I built some bi polar bipoles and there

ggggggrrrrreat
Old 5th March 2011, 08:55 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Back to the original question: The Changs vs. the Sachikos. I just finished the the second Chang and of course I was unable to wait for anything, mounted the FE207 in there, set it up and ...

Well, They sound ... different. I have a hard time describing the difference, it has to be heard, I will try.

Please keep in mind that they are also having different drivers, they have drivers that are supposed to be in the cabinets, meaning the Sachikos have a pair of stock FE206e drivers mounted, whereas the Changs have a pair of FE207eN fully tricked out by planet-10 as the sound producing element. So some of the differences will have to be attributed to the difference in drivers, some are not.

The Sachikos have a full sound, they paint a picture very vividly. They are efficient, they are loud, they are colorful.

The first thing that immediately comes to mind is that the Changs seem to be less efficient. They are at least 6db quieter than the Sachikos. The Changs paint a picture which is very clear, very precise, very crisp. When building these I was a little bit concerned that the big chamber would create too much of an echo and in order to get rid of that I would have to dampen the hell out of it. For that reason and in order to stabilize the internals and make that big chamber less of a passive speaker I put a number of stabilizing small sound diverting baffles into the bass chamber. Just before I came up to write up my experience I took out all of the stuffing and even though I can now hear that the highs better and crisper the Changs could definitely do with a T90A tweeter to help those highs a bit. I may have to put back a *LITTLE* bit of stuffing but right now I am running no dampening, just relying on the sound diverting baffles.

Overall I would say each one is a great design, and if you can't listen to them side by side each one sounds terrific.
Old 5th March 2011, 09:11 PM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Andreas,

Your FE207eN only measure ~1 dB less than a stock FE206e. Apparent loudness differneces likely arise from the more extended (& peakier) high frequencies of the FE206e. Most people find the top on the FE207 needs augmentation. FT17 is most commonly used. If FT96 is within budget it is what i'd go with. If you can find a set, the Foster tweeter out of the Radio Shack pods, fits in quality between the 2 and costs less than the FT17, specially the older aluminum body one, but the plastic body one works well too (i have some of those available)

dave
Old 5th March 2011, 09:35 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Dave,

yes, know that from the spec sheet one should not expect that difference in efficiency, yet its there. I would venture a guess that this is due to the difference in theory those cabinets work on. After all the Sachikos are Olsen style horns, which work with completely differently than bass reflex cabinets, which is what Changs in all reality are. Very well designed BR but BR nonetheless. I guess the slow coupling a horn does has some advantages.

Hide this!Advertise here!