Cardboard for open baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Skull being very tough :cool:
And I am an 'heavy smoker' , so many bitumen foils in the inside ,bracing...OH it's an OB :magnify: vibrational modes should be stopped at their raising ,but steel + cardboard is not very clever . Some wooden frame may be unnecessary... So you loose the benefits of having some light material such CB ,I might say it could be useful in 3D applications such as little boxes where speaker's motor is not very powerful ...in the 1-5 W range ...and cabinet construction and geometry allows not having large surfaces free to vibrate.

the reason OB sound better is not because the baffle doesn't vibrate
as much as a box. It does, and that is the source of some of the bass.

the best speaker i ever made was from a bicycle box with one side cut out
so it was a panel with 6" wings on all sides, hung from a ceiling. the driver
was fitted in a wood baffle that was screwed and glued to the box.
driver was a Moth Cicada. sounded unreal, just wouldn't get very loud.

As I said ,I'm a cardboard guy too . If you want to control the inertial mass
of the 'speaker holder (box or OB) ' and don't want to obtain random results ,it
is better to do a constrained layer damping ,even with a steel foil . I use PVC for external finish ,although it is pretty sound transparent , and bitumen foils on the inside . As in architecture ,structure of a building must have solid bases.
Otherwise ,you'll end with a colorado sound :p Hey ! I know someone in Boulder and Hygiene BTW :):)

The pieces I'm going to use are pre folded so I will have wings. The wings are of equal dimensions to the front baffle. I know that it is double ply and it's 15mm thick and very rigid! If I get the exact dimensions tomorrow would someone be able to run them through a program to find the optimum placement? Also any advice on OB design would be great! Oh btw I'm going to use the alpair7's.

Also I have another piece roughly 150cm sq and 35mm thick!! Do you think and OB sub is a good idea? I don't have a huge living room!

Go Right Ahead!

I used cardboard to extend the size of an OB speaker. The cheap, normal corrugated cardboard they make boxes from. Worked quite well to demonstrate the principle. At the low levels I was generating, resonance wasn't the problem.

Try it out. No big loss if it doesn't work!

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Do you think and OB sub is a good idea?

I have done this. I used a pair of professional 15 inch drivers. Once I equalised them to make them flat on the open baffles, I could get them to play at reasonable levels, but only just.

Closed subs can give a very good result. Having done both, they are not inferior. They are also much easier to deal with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.