Voxie OOB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone!

I looked for inspiration a couple of years back here on diyaudio! I build myself a pair of Hemp acoustic FR8C Metronomes and been happy ever since!(mostly :p )
Anyway now after 2 years I have moved to a bigger house and I got permission from my girlfriend(It always works this way :eek: ) to buy a bigger system for the livingroom(zu Presence) for rock and metal duty and to put my existing one in the bedroom :) for the finer music.

But she wants something smaller higher WAF in the bedroom, my idé is to try some small open baffles.
Now usually small and open baffle dont go together, but if I use my HA FR8C in a small leaky box playing in push push with the main driver playing OB, to kill some of the out of phase low frequencies and to add ambience high fr!
The driver I already bought, Voxativ AC3-X
I used google sketchup to make my plan visible, nothing new I guess all have been done before! All measurement is a mix of golden ratio or just where it works, baffle is 100cmx38cm
Any takes on if it would work?

Attachments

• hifisys.jpg
    hifisys.jpg
    605.7 KB · Views: 190
  • VoxieOB.jpg
    VoxieOB.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 185

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Usually, the supporting driver in a full range OB is a woofer playing low frequencies. Your approach may work. Give it a try and tell us what you find :)

The best part about OBs is it takes very little work to get up and running and you don't feel bad about tearing it down and coming up with something new.

Yes try it I will!
And if I´m not happy with the bass I might just get 2x Emminence DeltaliteII 2512 per side in push push for Omni bass. By the way OOB is for Omni Open Baffle!
But It gets more complicated with bi amping and equilizing probably being nessesary. So I like to try the KISS method first!

Attachments

• 2xVoxiesOOB.jpg
    2xVoxiesOOB.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 150
Voxativ AC-3X and possibly dual 12" woofers per side is your "bedroom" system?

so, budget and space considerations with which most of us battle for even the main system are not a primary issue then?

this should be an interesting project to monitor - best of luck

Voxativ AC-3X and possibly dual 12" woofers per side is your "bedroom" system?

so, budget and space considerations with which most of us battle for even the main system are not a primary issue then?

this should be an interesting project to monitor - best of luck

:shy:
well they upgraded a pair of voxativ Ampeggio speakers in my local hifi shop, so they were just lying there! good discount but still stupidly expensive, just could not resist... being so impressed with my HA FR8c I just need to see if there is more quality to be found? Feastrex is still too much!

And the bedroom is a really good room in the house, the only room with wooden floor and quite big too! So I thought why not...

Anyway I get back when I build my first try! hopefully I dont need the 12´s

:shy:
well they upgraded a pair of voxativ Ampeggio speakers in my local hifi shop, so they were just lying there! good discount but still stupidly expensive, just could not resist... being so impressed with my HA FR8c I just need to see if there is more quality to be found? Feastrex is still too much!

And the bedroom is a really good room in the house, the only room with wooden floor and quite big too! So I thought why not...

Anyway I get back when I build my first try! hopefully I dont need the 12´s

the bedroom was always a really good room in the house when I wore a younger man's clothes - even absent any type of audio system :eek:

have fun with the project

I like the design a lot because it reduces the clunkyness of having an open baffle mounted on a woofer box.

TangBand W8-1808 Open Baffle Speaker with H-frames

I would use the bottom of the box for a helper woofer and power it with a sub amp. Powered allows you to use smaller, less efficient woofers. Normally, i think many of us would use the open baffles and partner with a sub amp located somewhere else in the room. Your design allows for a single sub hiding behind one speaker or dual subs behind each speaker. I really think this is an elegant design. Thanks for sharing!

Zilla

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.