Computer Speakers - what you can get for 25 USD or 15GBP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Pico,
Thanks for pointing this out! This is the perfect little combo for a tiny mp3 player. What do they cost? Essentially the technique used by most compact Bluetooth mp3 speakers offered like Jawbone, etc. To see it as a single channel OEM part is neat.

I just saw this thread for the first time and want to concur with Sreten that one would be hard pressed to build anything DIY for $25 that would sound this good. The closest I have come (and maybe surpassed) is to strip out the drivers and amp from the Logitech S120 and put that in a 14 in Cornucopya ($10 for S120 and ~$4 in foam core). http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...building-cornu-spiral-horn-now-you-can-6.html

318186d1355771105-ever-think-building-cornu-spiral-horn-now-you-can-microcornucopya-05.jpg

Last edited:
Creative Labs Inspire A220 Speaker System 51MF0400AA002-R - Micro Center

Logitech LS21 2.1 Stereo Speaker System 980-000058 - Micro Center

http://www.microcenter.com/product/398055/21_Channel_BXR1321_Computer_Speaker_System_with_Subwoofer

The OP speakers are 29.99 at microcenter, so I went up to that price.

And I should mention, my listening experience w/ all of these is in an office, generally w/ sales guys of some sort all chatting away... No super critical listening.. But for just general full tone, room filling sound that gets people tapping their toes, these w/ the subs always seem much better.
If you're disassembling them to use in better enclosures, then I can't say if these have better "drivers" in them...

I guess I'll add that in a standard office, the OP speakers didn't sound any better to me than a pair of $5.00 speakers. (Missing many frequencies)

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I'd much rather spend £25 on a couple of TB W3-881SI and a Lepai amp. Throw in some scrap 1/2" ply, some wire and have a heck of a lot better sound and the satisfaction of DIY.

£10 more, yes, but what is £10 these days? Actually, I'll say that £10 is worth spending to avoid having plastic speakers on my desk.

Horses for courses, and all that.

nah. Id rather point to point a cheap LM3886 amp...

As for Sretens' economic judgement, I regard it highly. Second hand these logitech are a great deal, and sound nifty, i have heard them. Good as foam core is, im sure the small plastic logitech are quite rigid.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure.

You'd need something clever doing to emulate the dynamic bass management of the Logitechs, or your little drivers are gonna be flapping around all over the place.

Add in that, plus your time, and I suspect the Logitechs are nigh-impossible to beat.

Chris

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I'm not so sure.

You'd need something clever doing to emulate the dynamic bass management of the Logitechs, or your little drivers are gonna be flapping around all over the place.

Add in that, plus your time, and I suspect the Logitechs are nigh-impossible to beat.

Chris

I disagree, however I am not one to crank my computer speakers up to "11".

I own a pair of the W3-881SI and I already know they can easily produce good bass very gracefully at moderate SPL.

Also, I don't know about anyone else, but the time I spend building speakers is a bonus, not some sort of "cost".

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Chris661,
Have you heard what a 3 in FR driver sounds like in a cornu? I am quite positive it is better than x140, some people like a passive rad sound but I dont think it can compare to a blh like cornu. If made out of foam core, cost is minimal and super easy. That's not to say that x140 is still a very tough thing to beat at $29 range.

I guess I'll add that in a standard office, the OP speakers didn't sound any
better to me than a pair of $5.00 speakers. (Missing many frequencies)

Hi,

Yes well then I'd guess your near deaf making that sort of statement.

They sound miles better than most cheap computer speakers but
are very nearfield in their good capabilities. The Logitech S220
2.1 (sub+ sats) does farfield miles better for very little more.

I wouldn't recommend them for a "standard office", whatever
that means. I would recommend them for a home desk laptop,
for music, radio, games, chat and videos sat at the desk.

Whilst cheap 2.1 systems have more impact, they are the
most cohesive computer speakers I've heard at the price.

Along with all the caveats I posted, that imply they only
work well in limited circumstances, I'd say used within
those limitations they do the job extremely well.

And boy do they utterly slaughter any laptop speakers.

rgds, sreten.

They will do TV and radio levels, but not a lot more.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have a question that might be worthy of new thread but it falls in line with the discussion here. I have an Altec Lansing 2.1 system that I'm using as dedicated TV speakers but I've been contemplating a DIY build. The thing is ... for what they are they sound really good. It's a better system than my neighbor's far more expensive Samsung sound bar with a wireless remote sub.

It has reasonably good bass, although not musically great, and gets uncomfortably loud without distorting. I have it plugged into the headphone jack and can control the volume through the TV remote which is extremely convenient. Another thing I really like about it is at normal listening levels the bass is reserved and news commentators sound like people instead of James Earl Jones on steroids. When you turn it up the bass comes in and movie soundtracks sound reasonably full and rich.

So ... here's my question. Would a FR speaker like Cyburg's Needles be an improvement and do so without a sub? Would it a take two way MT speaker to see an improvement in SQ?

I'd like to build a pair of slim towers powered by a Lepai or Indeed T amp and sourced through the headphone jack.

It's a matter of bang for the buck that goes right along with the theme of this thread.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for the response.

Priorities would be improved overall SQ, better staging, and just the aesthetics of a pair of slim tall floor standing speakers ... plus the satisfaction of DIY. I don't want to go down the path of a full blown HT system and I'm not looking for earth shaking bass. Budget is also a consideration. I'd like to stay under a $100.00 for drivers and crossovers.

I probably should start a new thread but I'll let it go for now. In some ways it's still pertinent as to what it takes to beat a "decent" off the shelf budget computer speaker system.

Some are junk but there is bang for buck out there that's tough to top at a reasonable cost ... at least as far as I can tell.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
$100 will let you build a full range slim tower that will beat almost any commercial offering in that price range if you don't need deep bass. Especially sound stage and imaging. Keep your altec sub for low bass duties. Check out Tabaq thread, or nanotower with tang band w3-881si thread. Or any number of mltl threads for 3 in to 4 in drivers. You can get bass to 60 Hz or so. Will not be loud though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.