Full Range driver - 5.1 setup possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IMO you underestimate Yamaha. For a midfi receiver, you can't do much better. How much you need to spend for something better in an open question. I have fully enabled Fostex's on mine. When I do demos, I use a pp tube amp because everyone expects tubes with "good" speakers. The tubes sound different from the Yammy. Better is in the ears of the beholder.

Bob

Bob, you may have mentioned it before, but can you remind me what type your tube amp is?

Bob, you may have mentioned it before, but can you remind me what type your tube amp is?

It's a custom amp built by Jef Larson. 6BX7's with 9w/ch. I asked Jef to make a tube amp that sounds as close to SS as possible, i.e. no even order distortion. Mission accomplished. This amp is missing the hint of glassiness the most SS amps have, and of course can be driven somewhat into clipping which you cannot do with SS.

Bob

It's a custom amp built by Jef Larson. 6BX7's with 9w/ch. I asked Jef to make a tube amp that sounds as close to SS as possible, i.e. no even order distortion. Mission accomplished. This amp is missing the hint of glassiness the most SS amps have, and of course can be driven somewhat into clipping which you cannot do with SS.

Bob

you mean "it can remain somewhat listenable in early stages of clipping"?, :rolleyes: - for the more sensitive speakers that you'd be demoing, 2@9w should be plenty for a taste test.

of course the theoretical perfect SS amp would have enough headroom that it would never clip :p

all kidding aside, the amp sounds interesting - does Jeff have a 'net presence, or do you need a special invitation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.