Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2011, 08:30 PM   #11
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
Happy birthday (wow, lots of ppl who is getting older today!)

Well, i'm 16 (16 and one month to be exact) and i built my Mar-Kel70 last summer when i was 15 and i really really like them. You can't really describe the bass with words, you have to hear it to believe what these small drivers can do. Midrange is really good aswell and the highs are nothing to complain about. In a larger cabinet i think one pair of EL70 should do well

By the way, i power my speakers with a Harman Kardon HK3490 stereo-amplifier. Might sell it next week though.

all of us celebrate the end of "a year" every day, but trust me though when I say that it feels like more than a day at a time at the end of 6 decades

by the way, you've fit in nicely to this band of crazy audio-nauts

yup - those little EL70s are quite the sleeper in the MarKels, but if you really want to be gob-smacked at their low frequency performance, you gotta try a horn like the Maeshowe,

Click the image to open in full size.

or perhaps they'd work in an ML-Voigt like the Beltane.

Old 22nd February 2011, 08:41 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

ra7... did you use the traditional dims for your Voigt Pipe and then fold it?

Zilla

PS. That Maeshowe looks wild!
Old 23rd February 2011, 04:55 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

haha yes dave i mean a tapered line, rather than expanding line; and not a 'reverse taper' as i wrote.... lol well spotted dave
Old 23rd February 2011, 04:58 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
all of us celebrate the end of "a year" every day, but trust me though when I say that it feels like more than a day at a time at the end of 6 decades

by the way, you've fit in nicely to this band of crazy audio-nauts

yup - those little EL70s are quite the sleeper in the MarKels, but if you really want to be gob-smacked at their low frequency performance, you gotta try a horn like the Maeshowe,

or perhaps they'd work in an ML-Voigt like the Beltane.

Yes, i can imagine that they could deliver really really good bass in a much larger enclosure.
Old 23rd February 2011, 05:37 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I'm thinking that anywhere under $100 per driver is acceptable.I'll have subs paired with these though, so no bass isn't really an issue. I don't really have a driver in mind actually, but the EL70 seems popular here. Ill look it up when I get home
Old 23rd February 2011, 05:49 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Your budget is good for 2 pair of EL70 (or one tricked out pair), you could consider a bipole met or voigt, and you could move the XO point down to 40-70 Hz.

dave
Old 23rd February 2011, 05:59 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

It might be a goofy question, but putting just a single 4-7/8" full range (the el70) in a full-size voigt cabinet which was designed for an eight inch full range seems... A little small. Is this so?
Old 23rd February 2011, 06:10 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi Russell, here is a 'rough' proportion to look at.

ZillaAudio.com, Outdoor Speakers | Rock Speakers | Garden Speakers | Patio Speakers | In-Wall Speakers | Ceiling Speakers and more!

The 127e are 4.5" drivers. They are in a Straight Pipe that's smaller than the Voigt Pipe.

Single Driver Website

I took the drivers out and will replace them with something larger one day. The sound was very good probably because the cabinets are forgiving. If i built the traditional Voigt Pipes i'd use 8" drivers... The Straight Pipes may end up with my older Fostex 168s (6.5") eventually.
Old 23rd February 2011, 06:22 PM   #19
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Zilla,

Yes, it was kind of a traditional vp, but folded. The design was from an old elecktor article that my dad passed on to me. Only later I discovered the BiB website

It is the same thing tho.
Old 23rd February 2011, 09:11 PM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell K View Post
It might be a goofy question, but putting just a single 4-7/8" full range (the el70) in a full-size voigt cabinet which was designed for an eight inch full range seems... A little small. Is this so?
You should put it into an ML-voigt designed for the driver. EL70 is a 4" (with a wide bezel)

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!