Building a power supply for all DIY speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Stabby is offline Stabby  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default Building a power supply for all DIY speakers

I'm interested in building speakers, but I'm on a budget. I'd like to start with simple fullrange speakers and then build my first multi-way speakers.

Transformers are expensive, so I'd like to make one amp that would work for most fullrange and multiway speakers. What would be a good power supply to use with lots of fullrange and multi-way speakers? I'm thinking of using a 160VA 2x18VAC transformer (perhaps 2x22VAC?).

Also what should the output be? Is -18V/+18V sufficient for an amp for use with most speakers?

50W should be enough for me. But can I use a 50W amp on 100W speakers?

Some of my information is probably wrong, so feel free to correct me

Last edited by Stabby; 15th February 2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 15th February 2011, 10:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
I'm interested in building speakers, but I'm on a budget. I'd like to start with simple fullrange speakers and then build my first multi-way speakers.

Transformers are expensive, so I'd like to make one amp that would work for most fullrange and multiway speakers. What would be a good power supply to use with lots of fullrange and multi-way speakers? I'm thinking of using a 160VA 2x18VAC transformer (perhaps 2x22VAC?).

Also what should the output be? Is -18V/+18V sufficient for an amp for use with most speakers?

50W should be enough for me. But can I use a 50W amp on 100W speakers?

Some of my information is probably wrong, so feel free to correct me

The only thing I can help with is that a 50w amp will work good, and even better as the sensitivity of the speakers increase. Thats not to say that less sensitive ones wont work well with the amp. Full range speakers are usually pretty sensitive and do not require much power.
Old 15th February 2011, 11:48 PM   #3
JesseG is offline JesseG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Stabby
The main thing hgere is that you need to sort out your priorities. If your interest is in building speakers, then focus on that. You don't need to build an amp to do this - find a used amp that sounds OK and build your first speakers and LISTEN to them. Then, try your next speaker project and LISTEN to the differences.

There is no point in asking about the transformer until you have an amp design that you intend to build. There is no 'perfect' amp for all types of speakers.

Design starts with the load you want to drive, then the ouput stage topology that you think will work best for you, then the input stage that will accept your intended source(s) and amplify to whatever the output stage needs. LAST of all you design a power supply that will serve the circuit you have chosen.

BTW: you can use a 50W amp on 100W speakers. You can also use a 100W amp on 50W speakers - as long as you are careful not to turn the amp up to more than 1/2 power output.

Hide this!Advertise here!