Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2011, 07:14 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How can I improve an existing enclosure?

First timer here. I have two old HiFi speaker cabinets with no drivers. I would like to use them to make a good pair of stereo speakers so that I don't need to build the boxes from scratch. They're old, but look good and I could put new grill cloth on. They measure about 18x18x22 inside. I would like to install 12" drivers.

I know there are a lot of variables, but I'd like to get some suggestions. Cost is definitely a factor, and I'm looking for a good bang per buck on the drivers. Would a good triaxial driver with a built-in crossover be a good idea here, with a bass reflex port? That was my first thought but you guys are the experts and I need a push in the right direction regarding basic design (port, etc) and specific driver suggestions.

These speakers will never be driven really loud but but I would like to have good low volume Presence and stereo image (or whatever the proper terms are).

Thanks,

Ron
Old 14th February 2011, 12:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I haven't looked lately but Parts Express used to have a speaker replacement guide. If you know the source of these cabinets that might be a place for the experts to give advice.

Also you don't say if you are looking for a "drop in" solution which would require no modification of the baffle board.

Plus if my mental image is right, the cabinet is nearly a cube.
Old 14th February 2011, 12:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Ron, sounds like a good project!
1. Can you confirm that inside dimensions are 18" x 18" x 22"?

2. Is the back of the cabinet open, or sealed?

3. So you will seal the existing hole(s) and make new ones?

4. Lastly, any chance the original drivers are still good?
Old 14th February 2011, 02:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a good candidate for an econowave project seen here....Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

It's a massive thread (848 pages to date), but scanning the first few pages and following the consolidated posts with links should give you a good idea. The project is proven, well developed with many options, and even built crossovers available from zilchlabs. I, in essence, think of it as a Geddes speaker with affordable drivers and more traditional horn waveguides.

Last edited by steviedon; 14th February 2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 14th February 2011, 05:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbond3rd View Post
Hi Ron, sounds like a good project!
1. Can you confirm that inside dimensions are 18" x 18" x 22"?

2. Is the back of the cabinet open, or sealed?

3. So you will seal the existing hole(s) and make new ones?

4. Lastly, any chance the original drivers are still good?
Thank you for the replies. To answer the above:

1. The dimensions are 24"high, 19-1/2 wide, 17" deep.

2. Closed back

3. I am willing to do almost any modifications necessary. I just wanted to use the box as a starting point if possible.

4. I don't have any drivers for it. I'm probably going to aim for low to mid-priced drivers, but want decent quality (bang for buck).

I'll take a look at the econowave project. Thanks for the tip. Same for Parts Express.

One thing I should mention is that these are solid wood (mahogany I think) and pretty light weight for cabinets compared with particle board. I think they were built in the 50's. . The sides have a kind of hollow sound when knocked on and makes me wonder if they may be too resonant. If they won't be a good candidate, I'll build or buy something else.

Hide this!Advertise here!