Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2011, 09:43 AM   #11
phin586 is offline phin586  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, I just read that thread. Seems it is not as close to a replacement as stated. :-\

Are there any other similar speakers to the b20 that would work in similar boxes?
Old 14th February 2011, 10:00 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I Just found plans for the Half Chang design. That would've been a pretty easy build. I wonder how these would sound in that?

Oh well. Gives me something to think about when I wake up. Hopefully I have some more insight from people in this thread, by that time.

Thanks for the input thus far. Look forward to coming here more often. =)
Old 14th February 2011, 04:18 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

It's an interesting driver in its own right when not compared to the discontinued B20. Subjectively it's brighter and less full sounding. It requires less help on top but benefits from a tweeter (i like using the cheap piezos but that TB you mention and many others should work too). I imagine it in a tall Voigt pipe (mostly for style) or a back horn of sorts to fill out the bottom octaves. Perhaps a sealed cab like Planet10 suggests plus a sub is all that's needed to enjoy this driver. I have them in 1.3 cubic foot sealed (approx 36 liters) that sounds thinner and less satisfying to me than when the B20s were in them. I've not given up on them only put them aside for now. For the price they are worth considering and they certainly don't sound bad... just not the same as the B20 they were supposed to replace. I have mine in corners and up against the walls and they still sound thin... so they need some fiddling to find the right cabs.
Old 14th February 2011, 06:29 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I wonder if they would benefit from the horn in a half chang design. I wouldn't mind building them and finding out. From my understanding, they would require slightly more case volume to get some of the same low end sound?
Old 14th February 2011, 06:51 PM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Higher Vas is balanced somewhat by lower Q. When looking at drivers for Chang, look at the spec for the FE207 not the BOFU.

dave
Old 14th February 2011, 07:25 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Looks like those are discontinued.
Old 14th February 2011, 07:42 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

They are. Dave said look at their specs for a guide.

GRS should theoretically go into HC with a fairly damped alignment.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 14th February 2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 14th February 2011, 07:50 PM   #18
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phin586 View Post
Loud bass isn't as needed as accurate bass. Like I said, this is an apartment so I really don't have a desire to "thump".
?? Where did I recommend alignments for 'loud' or 'thump'?

Also, nowhere did you indicate a desire for 'accurate' bass, at least not what I even remotely consider 'accurate', but I did say that at least one of your amps wouldn't work well with 'small' speakers or with any degree of 'accuracy'.

You want 'accurate', then figure out which amp you're going to use, find out its output impedance, then get back to us and we'll figure out what size it takes for a critically damped 0.5 Qtc sealed alignment. Short of a huge compression horn, this is as 'accurate' as it gets.

GM
Old 14th February 2011, 08:01 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I don't believe I was replying to you but rather just speaking in general. Just trying to get things figured out.

I'm definitely a noob when it comes to this stuff and I'm just looking for advice. Not trying to step on any toes or rustle any feathers.
Old 14th February 2011, 08:23 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I offer these up as a starting point for the GRS 8" fullrange driver. Having them in 1.3 cf sealed boxes mine must start rolling off around 200hz as the sim indicates... and they sound it. After doing the first sim i realized i left out a comparison between a simple 1 cf sealed vs 1 cf ported. I like the 1 cf ported boxes curve because it offers a slight bump in bass that may reduce the thin sound the driver has in my room. Perhaps this driver requires a more creative cabinet? Anything enhancing or lifting the bass should help round out the overall sound. I think head on a tweeter is optional but prefer adding one for more twinkle and detail. They push the mids forward unlike the B20... many may enjoy their sound... just a matter of finding a good cabinet for them and then the tweakers can begin finding more improvements.

-3 @ 55hz with a 2 x 4 inch long port. Cake!

Or seal it up in a .5 cf box with the intent of using a sub.

Zilla

PS, the 2 cf curve looks promising too... 3" x 2.75" long port for that cabinet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grsFR-1.jpg (120.7 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg grsFR.jpg (142.7 KB, 366 views)

Last edited by Godzilla; 14th February 2011 at 08:25 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!