Alpair 12 break-in question: 2mm?

StevenZ,

Good choice :) Ottmar Liebert, Guitarisma, and Acoustic Alchemy are only list for phase 2 of breaking in the drivers.

For phase 1, I am thinking Chopin...

Regards,
Zia

thanks guys, any recommended albums from these guys. I just want to go and purchase couple of albums each for phase 1 and 2 and play them without listening much:)

whats the recommended mode for burnin - on its own, OB, FAST, with a sub. Any difference it makes how you are doing the burn in.

Acoustic Alchemy - I have 2 albums, both I like - The New Edge and Reference Point.

Guitarisma: The Charisma, Passion & Romance Of The Guitar (Various Artists)

Ottmar Liebert" Nouveau Flamenco

I am sure others can suggest some great stuff also :)

Beware - some of these tracks are pretty rhythmic, have some drums - would be careful using them for even phase 2 listening.

For phase 1 even gentler stuff...

Will have my drivers put in OB.

Just as a check that I haven't done anything wrong with my Alpair 10.2's...

First several days, I played them at a very, very low volume 24/7, talk radio and classical music, from a receiver.

After a few days, I brought them out to my main system, with a 6-watt per channel tube amp. I played them at a higher level, but still very "moderate," only classical music and some acoustic jazz. One Villa-Lobos piece built to a bit of a crescendo, with a bass drum thwack. I quickly turned it down, even though it had been playing at a low level. Scared me. I hope that didn't do any harm...

Then they went back to the receiver, again playing 24/7 at a very low volume. Some jazz CD's playing for a couple of hours now and then.

It's been over a week now. I lost track of the hours.

Today I have them playing from the main system at a low volume.

Can I crank them up to normal (moderate, but would compete a little with calm conversation) listening level yet??

--

PS - they're in sealed cabs, Qcb about 0.66, maybe a little higher.

PPS -- Also, what would I listen for to know if I'd screwed the drivers up a little? Not catastrophic damage, but any fuzziness to the highs, maybe 'scratchy' sounding in the highs, other anomalies to listen for?

Last edited:
Just as a check that I haven't done anything wrong with my Alpair 10.2's...

First several days, I played them at a very, very low volume 24/7, talk radio and classical music, from a receiver.

After a few days, I brought them out to my main system, with a 6-watt per channel tube amp. I played them at a higher level, but still very "moderate," only classical music and some acoustic jazz. One Villa-Lobos piece built to a bit of a crescendo, with a bass drum thwack. I quickly turned it down, even though it had been playing at a low level. Scared me. I hope that didn't do any harm...

Then they went back to the receiver, again playing 24/7 at a very low volume. Some jazz CD's playing for a couple of hours now and then.

It's been over a week now. I lost track of the hours.

Today I have them playing from the main system at a low volume.

Can I crank them up to normal (moderate, but would compete a little with calm conversation) listening level yet??

--

PS - they're in sealed cabs, Qcb about 0.66, maybe a little higher.

PPS -- Also, what would I listen for to know if I'd screwed the drivers up a little? Not catastrophic damage, but any fuzziness to the highs, maybe 'scratchy' sounding in the highs, other anomalies to listen for?

Hi Rongon,
What's the internal volume of your sealed boxes?
Thx
Mark.

Hi Mark,

External dimensions are 210mm x 200mm x 370mm

Cabinet walls are approximately 15mm

So I subtract 30mm from each dimension to find internal volume.

180mm x 170mm x 340mm = 10.4 liters

Subtract 10% for displacement by driver, and it comes to about 9.5 liters.

Sound about right?

-=|=-

Last edited:
I saw something a bit scary. From post #17 of this thread:

6 hours at a time is OK providing the room temp stays below 24 degrees centigrade. Best to avoid elevated temperatures inside the coil chamber during the early run-in period.

Uh oh... I had them playing the radio at a whisper, but I left them playing non-stop that way for a few days. I really hope that didn't mess them up.

If they had overheated during that time, what would the damage sound like? A certain fuzziness to upper mids maybe? A possible extra upper mid "sizzle"? Or am I being neurotically obsessive? (Wouldn't be the first time...)

Last edited:
I saw something a bit scary. From post #17 of this thread:
Uh oh... I had them playing the radio at a whisper, but I left them playing non-stop that way for a few days. I really hope that didn't mess them up.

If they had overheated during that time, what would the damage sound like? A certain fuzziness to upper mids maybe? A possible extra upper mid "sizzle"? Or am I being neurotically obsessive? (Wouldn't be the first time...)

Hi Rongon,
Its very unlikely you've done any damage with only 6 watts on tap and a sealed box volume of 9.5 litres. With over 100 hours on your drivers, you can afford to start applying normal listening volumes. That should be something in the low 80dB's at a typical listening distance of 2.5 metres. If you haven't got a SPL meter, check out your mobile phone, you may be able to download an application to covert it into an SPL meter.

Bear in mind that with only 9.5 litres sealed box vols, the low frequency response will be restricted and the resonant driver frequency will be likely pushed up be several Hz; Due to potential air compression acting on the rear of the driver's power-train. Please make sure there's at least 25-mm (thickness) of descent sound insulation on the internals of the box. Usually, to get the best from these drivers in sealed box applications, bigger volumes are desirable.

However, maybe you plan to assist the bass with a woof(s) in which case some filtering might be planned. Should you wish to receive specific help with your project, start a dedicated thread on the Markaudio section. Include pics and information on your set-up and listening room.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited:
With over 100 hours on your drivers, you can afford to start applying normal listening volumes. That should be something in the low 80dB's at a typical listening distance of 2.5 metres.

I think I'm worrying way too much! I'm playing them at avg level of about 70dB, with the odd 80dB peak here and there. If you meant average SPL in the low 80's at 2.5 meters or so, then wow, I need to crank it up some!

I just saw another thread where A10.2 owners are saying that it takes a long, long time for these drivers to really break in and open up. They sound really good now, and I'll be one happy camper if they keep on improving.

Thanks for your help with this.

PS -- These sound fabulous for solo piano. The lack of a crossover does great things for the sound of recorded piano.

Last edited:
Mark can comment on this, but if I understand the break-in restrictions correctly, you have to get at least some excursion or no break-in is occurring. A mm or so excursion is permissible for "low power" break-in. The thing is, 1mm of excursion on the A10's and A12's is going to give you 70-80dB at 2.5m. And that's my normal listening level! So, my break-in procedure is to turn them up to a comfortable level and let them rip.

Bob

I used a FM radio station to break in my speakers. Before broadcast the subsonic frequencies are removed and any extreme spikes are compressed down. This leaves a signal that is predictable and has no danger of overdriving the speakers. It may not be the best sound for listening, but it is perfect for breaking in speakers.

Mark can comment on this, but if I understand the break-in restrictions correctly, you have to get at least some excursion or no break-in is occurring. A mm or so excursion is permissible for "low power" break-in. The thing is, 1mm of excursion on the A10's and A12's is going to give you 70-80dB at 2.5m. And that's my normal listening level! So, my break-in procedure is to turn them up to a comfortable level and let them rip.

Bob

70-80db at 2.5m is loud by my reckoning, that's not "low level" to the average listener is it?

70-80db at 2.5m is loud by my reckoning, that's not "low level" to the average listener is it?

It depends on who you talk to. I lurk on another board that just surveyed the normal SPL. 80-90dB is the norm. Generally a younger crowd, though. I am breaking in a pair of A10P's as I type this. Average SPL ~70dB, peaks to 80. Some Handel concertos. I do not consider this loud by any streach. I have to put a finger on the surround to detect movement of the driver. I figure that if the diaphragm is not moving noticeably, the sound is not loud.

Bob

Thanks Bob, your obviously a rocker by my standards :)

I would love to hear your listening impressions on the 10p as they come into their own, I was considering them as well as the 12p. As my music taste is eclectic I was led by Marks testimony that the 10.3m was the "most rounded performer".

This is my first foray into the FR and I suspect I'm another convert. My birch ply arrives tomorrow so the fun begins.

My A10P's have 20-30hr on them now. I can say this: Driven by a cheap Sony 2-ch receiver I use in the shop, the 10P's are sounding quite nice. Highs are better than the A10.2. Can't tell about the bottom yet as they are in a pair on mis-tuned BR's and I haven't gone to my r e a l l y deep stuff. Made the mistake of running some country music (you do listen to country, don't you?) off of the FM receiver. Be aware that the 10P's will not tolerate modern super-compressed music. It is awful.

Bob

You bet your Alison Krauss I listen to country music! That which your sneer at in your twenties you revere in your forties, who would have thunk? In fact I would have laughed myself into an early grave if you had told me twenty five years ago, that I would come to consider Dylan as the most gifted songsmith of the age.

Mark did mention the 10p's were unforgiving, some of my music requires forgiveness :)

Well excuse me, pipe and slippers are calling me back to my rocking chair.

Happy listening