Alpair 12 break-in question: 2mm?

Okay, tomorrow we build the Solstice cabinets and install the Alpair 12s. My next dumb question (hey, I gotta learn somehow!) concerns the break-in period. Mark suggests 2mm for 20 hours, and 4mm for 200 hours. Okay, I have no idea what that means! Is 2mm the volume of a normal conversation at a dinner table? Is 4mm the volume of your TV? Any help would be wonderful, because I really want these Solstice to shine!

Hi Guys,
The measuring idea is good an then eyeballing is likely the most effective.

Remember, were talking about the MAX length of movement under a "shock load" like the sudden thump-role of a drum, big clash of symbols etc. etc. Under these loads, the travel of the powertrain (cone,coil and suspensions) must not exceed those distances I've already given. That means for the vast majority of the run in period and general play, the powertrain hardly moves.

In a well designed driver/cab combination, pleasing bass can be generated without the need to use lots of large driver excursion.

I'll look at the running in section, see if I can further elaborate.

Thanks

Mark.

Last edited:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Mark,

Probably a better way to specify breakin would be to say:
Pink noise - 70db@1meter for 100 hours, 80db@1meter next 100 hours and so on. This is much easier to approximate than eyeballing excursion.

Once you've got your amp calibrated to these levels, you can play music instead of pink noise.

Okay, tomorrow we build the Solstice cabinets and install the Alpair 12s. My next dumb question (hey, I gotta learn somehow!) concerns the break-in period. Mark suggests 2mm for 20 hours, and 4mm for 200 hours. Okay, I have no idea what that means! Is 2mm the volume of a normal conversation at a dinner table? Is 4mm the volume of your TV? Any help would be wonderful, because I really want these Solstice to shine!

Hi Urchin,
To help you:

1 - First 100 hours, use low volumes like hotel lobby background music levels. You can easily hold a conversation without raising you voice. Don't use any music with a heavy beat. Sweet vocal, gentle Jazz, any music that's easy listening will suffice.

2 - 100 to around 300 hours, gradually introduce some music with beat/bass and carefully increase the volume to "entertainment" levels. You can still hold a conversation by slightly raising your voice. Don't go nuts, give this process time. Remember, most (if not all) full range drivers aren't big "rock un rollers".

I talk about Xmax (mm) distances for those DIYer's who've got allot of experience in driver handling and maintenance so my apologies for the lack of presentation for beginners.

Cheers

Mark.

Mark,
Probably a better way to specify breakin would be to say:
Pink noise - 70db@1meter for 100 hours, 80db@1meter next 100 hours and so on. This is much easier to approximate than eyeballing excursion.

Once you've got your amp calibrated to these levels, you can play music instead of pink noise.

Hi Ra,
Yes, is another way to initially help set up the run-in procedure but most important: Don't use pink or any other source of constant load to run-in the drivers. Music is the way to go as cones and suspensions need signal variation to break in properly. Recently, 2 local guys ignored my advice and used constant loads to break in Alp7's, ended with ruined cone structures and non-optimised compliance on the suspensions.

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited:
question ? my drivers arrived w/o any documentation , so unless you happen to read here , how do your customers even have a clue ?
not trying to be antagonistic , just asking ...

Good point. I rely on dealers the spread the word but I'm increasingly using this forum. I hope to print info sheets this year but it adds to the cost. I'm going to have to do:
English
German
French
Chinese (Simple and Traditional)
Spanish
Japanese
Italian
Korean
And........................???????

May the gods help me:confused:

Cheers
Mark.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Ra,
Yes, is another way to initially help set up the run-in procedure but most important: Don't use pink or any other source of constant load to run-in the drivers. Music is the way to go as cones and suspensions need signal variation to break in properly. Recently, 2 local guys ignored my advice and used constant loads to break in Alp7's, ended with ruined cone structures and non-optimised compliance on the suspensions.

Cheers

Mark.

Yup, I mentioned that in my post. Pink noise is only for calibration. You need a standard signal to specify the spl level.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that Mark has stated that his drive units require breaking in with a varying signal, not (like pink noise) a constant one. SPL will therefore vary dependant on said material & its dynamic range. As I understand it, the object is not to exceed the stated levels, rather than maintaining these deflection levels for a couple of hundred hours.

I think there's a danger of trying to be too clever here. You shouldn't need to be messing around establishing average SPLs & the dynamic range of a recording just to break the drivers in. Life is too short. Just use a bit of common sense & some material of the requisite type that you are familiar with; then use the MK1 eyeball to ensure the cone isn't shifting, on the largest dynamic peaks, more than the requisite ammont. Job done.

Last edited:
Mark,

Greetings. I've ordered Alpair 12s and can't wait to get my hands on them!

For the running in period, any advice on how many sessions to break this up into? I was planning to go over the running in period of 120 ours in 2 weeks if possible, which is roughly 8 hours a day, and might end up doing 6 hours on a single run... Will go by recommendations on music type and volume (already putting a play list together).

Good things come to those who wait, so don't want to rush it unnecessarily. :)

-Zia

Mark,
Greetings. I've ordered Alpair 12s and can't wait to get my hands on them!
For the running in period, any advice on how many sessions to break this up into? I was planning to go over the running in period of 120 ours in 2 weeks if possible, which is roughly 8 hours a day, and might end up doing 6 hours on a single run... Will go by recommendations on music type and volume (already putting a play list together).
Good things come to those who wait, so don't want to rush it unnecessarily. :)
-Zia

Hi Zia,
Thanks for buying the Alp12's. 120 hours is good for the first stage. That's low volumes on gentle easy listen music (no big bass). Vocal music is usually the best for this job. 6 hours at a time is OK providing the room temp stays below 24 degrees centigrade. Best to avoid elevated temperatures inside the coil chamber during the early run-in period.

After 120 hours, gradually add bass music and gently increase volumes to an easy listening level. From 120 to 200 hours, operated on 4 hour periods. You should see the cone move a little on bass (drum beat etc) but on slightly. Take a look at 2-mm on a ruler. This gives you an indication of the small amount of cone travel required at this stage. Don't use rock, heavy metal or other constant bass repetitious music during this run-in stage. Jazz, classical or similar music with more variable bass is needed for the later run-in stage.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:
Thank you Mark for your detailed reply. I listen to a lot of rock/heavy metal and I was planning to go all out after 120 hours. Guess I will have to wait a bit more.

Your comment regarding room temp - summer time is approaching and temps will soon shoot to the 30s. Unless I keep the air-con on, it will be very difficult to maintain 24 degrees room temp.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
You seem to be ignoring the fact that Mark has stated that his drive units require breaking in with a varying signal, not (like pink noise) a constant one. SPL will therefore vary dependant on said material & its dynamic range. As I understand it, the object is not to exceed the stated levels, rather than maintaining these deflection levels for a couple of hundred hours.

I think there's a danger of trying to be too clever here. You shouldn't need to be messing around establishing average SPLs & the dynamic range of a recording just to break the drivers in. Life is too short. Just use a bit of common sense & some material of the requisite type that you are familiar with; then use the MK1 eyeball to ensure the cone isn't shifting, on the largest dynamic peaks, more than the requisite ammont. Job done.

Scottmoose,

If you read my posts carefully, this is precisely what I suggested. I for one don't need to be told how to break in drivers, let alone measuring the excursion.

My suggestions were because some new members were taking Mark's advice a little too literally. Anyway, its done and dusted.

Thank you Mark for your detailed reply. I listen to a lot of rock/heavy metal and I was planning to go all out after 120 hours. Guess I will have to wait a bit more.
Your comment regarding room temp - summer time is approaching and temps will soon shoot to the 30s. Unless I keep the air-con on, it will be very difficult to maintain 24 degrees room temp.

Hi Z,
Maybe you're at a similar latitude to Hong Kong. Our temps this week (even though its early March) have past 24 degrees. Best to run the drivers for shorter periods, say 3 hours per session. Sorry its not so convenient but take your time. Good running-in will help you get many years of life from the Alp12's.

Have you considered a box type. Worth looking at Scott's Super Pencil 12. You'll get nice bass and excellent dynamics for rock and pop without having over-work the drivers, as this box design is very efficient.

Cheers

Mark.